Alloy and Comments Stacks

@mitchellm and @elixirgraphics
Same curiosity about Yabdab BackSnap stack

I’m not familiar with that stack. What does that one do? Is it also a commenting stack?

I just tested Comment stack with Alloy. It doesn’t seem to work. I.e. comments posted appear in every post.

If there is a way for this stack to be specific per post then that would be great. Not seeing a way to do it right now but there might be a simple code addition that would allow this. Hopefully @herbertkoeppel will talk to Will and a solution can be found.

1 Like

Hi Adam,
Yes, Backsnap lets add comments to any page.
You can see a working example here: http://svmi.web.ve/congreso/index.php
It needs a MySQL DB

Hmmm, I don’t think that one is offered any longer. I can’t seem to find it on the YabDab site.

Oops…Who knows why. It worked very well for me.

Not sure. But it was a good suggestion though. :+1:

As @mitchellm found out, CommentsStacks doesn’t work with Alloy. All comments appear with all blog entries. I think this is due to the database or the database that does not exist. CommentsStack only uses a simple TXT file to store the comments.

Even if you use a conditional stack from alloy and only use commentsstacks with SHOW: at full entry, all comments will still be displayed for all blog posts.

Agreed. I manage several sites with blogs, and only one bothers with comments nowadays and for every valid comment, there’s quite literally a thousand filtered out as spam. Just not worth it for the most part.

1 Like

Hi Adam, how does on add Disqus to Alloy (I can’t find this in the documentation).

Have a look here:

Wish there were other opportunities for comments in Alloy, which is free and ad-free.

Disqus is free I believe and support for it is built in to Alloy.

Disqus is free but has advertising.

Hyvor Talk should be free as well.

That said these services have overhead. That’s why they need to charge or have ads.

Hyvor Talk is free trial.

As I said, these services have overhead to “keep the lights on.”

Per Hyvor Talk’s site:

WHY ISN’T IT FREE LIKE SOME OTHER COMMENTING SYSTEMS?

Free commenting systems tracks your visitors, shows ads on your website, and sells your data to third-party companies. We do not track, show ads, or sell data. We are completely focused on making wonderful communities on websites like yours.

2 posts were split to a new topic: Option to customize placement of comments on Full Entry view

Hey friends!
I started to look into this because both my sons wanted a blog with easy commenting.
Stacks4Stacks CommentsStack is the answer and here is how you do it:

• The stack has been updated since then with options for what type of database so by trial and error I figured out the correct settings.

Database Name: Custom (default)
‘.$_GET[‘id’].’

NOTE: replace ‘id’ with your permalink id.
Also, after each post you will need to click the reload link to enable on that particular post.

Of course- credit to “heiko” in the original post.

2 Likes