Alloy v3 Preview: Upgrading to Alloy v3 is as easy as can be

This is the fifth day of our preview series looking at the upcoming Alloy v3 release. If you’ve missed the previous days you can go to this thread, which links to all of the currently released previews:

DAY FIVE:

In our last post before Alloy v3’s release let’s take some time to look at upgrading from Alloy v2 to v3.

Alloy v3 is a paid upgrade. In light of all of the new content management features we’ve added to Alloy, and the extensive upgrades and additions to its blogging engine, we’re adjusting its pricing slightly from $79 to $89.

If you’re already an Alloy user though, don’t worry, you’ll be able to upgrade at a steeply reduced price.

The upgrade process will be very much like that of upgrading from Foundry v1 to Foundry v2. If you previously purchased Alloy you can use the Upgrade option on the Purchase page to get Alloy v3 for just $49. During checkout you’ll need to use the same email address that you used when you purchased your previous version of Alloy.

The eCommerce system relies on this to automatically lookup your order to ensure you’re a current Alloy customer so it can process your purchase of Alloy v3 as an upgrade for the reduced rate. Without using the same email address, from your previous purchase of Alloy, the system will have no way to verify your previous purchase and thus not allow you to get the reduced upgrade pricing.

Grace Period

Customers who’ve purchased Alloy on or after September 15, 2020 will receive an email with instructions on how to receive a free upgrade from Alloy v2 to v3. If you’ve purchased Alloy v2 after September 15, 2020, but do not receive an email on launch day, please contact me through the Elixir support page. When you do, you’ll need to provide the email address you used to purchase Alloy so I have a way to look up your order.

Updating Your Site

If you already have a Blog and Editor page setup on your site, updating your site after you’ve upgraded to Alloy v3 is as easy as can be. You’ll install your new Alloy stacks in RapidWeaver by dragging-and-dropping the Alloy v3 stack on your RapidWeaver icon in your Mac’s Dock. RapidWeaver will take over and walk you through its normal installation process. Once done, quit and restart RapidWeaver. All that’s left is to republish your site. We recommend doing a “Republish All Files” from RapidWeaver when upgrading.

You can make changes to your Editor and Blog Entries stacks if you like before republishing, or just leave them as-is for now and make changes later. And as we said, to get everything online you’ll need to finish up by performing a Re-Publish All Files from within RapidWeaver. After that you should be good to go.

For new sites you’ll just build your Editor and Blog as shown in the Quick Start videos. These are found in the previous days’ previews and will be located in the Alloy documentation on release day as well.

Something To Note

One thing to note that has changed, that might need to be addressed before republishing – If you’re using the Categories List stack on your site you’ll need to link it to your blog page. This is covered in the Categories List stack video:

Release Date

We hope you’ve enjoyed these daily previews of some of the MANY new features in Alloy v3. The new update will go live for sale on November 18th, 2020.

I’ll be posting some additional Alloy videos on the Elixir YouTube channel today and tomorrow as well for those who are interested.

Again, thank you all for your support and interest in Alloy. It makes all of this hard work worth it.

6 Likes

Awesome, Adam! Really can’t wait to upgrade! :+1:

Adam.

2 Likes

Thanks @jacksona, that means a lot! I hope you enjoy all the new features. I’ve spent a lot of time on this update. At least as long as on the Foundry v2 update, if not longer.

2 Likes

For those who like nerdy things… Foundry and Alloy versions get a little code name attached to them. They’re all some kind of material, mostly metals or alloys, and many of them mythical or sci-fi in nature.

Foundry’s current version is Atium, which comes from the book series Mistborn by Brandon Sanderson. This metal relates to seeing into the future in a very unique way in the book. Hence Foundry v2.3.0 was a look into the future to the new Alloy v3 features, adding support for upcoming Droplet support.

J.R.R. Tolkien fans will recognize Alloy v3’s version number moniker – Mithril. The shiny, super light-weight, silver like material from Lord of the Rings which is as hard as steel.

Hope you enjoyed this little jaunt down through Adam’s nerd psyche. :wink:

Also! If you’ve not read Mistborn you should. It and its accompanying books are one of my favorite series of all time. And best of all it is planned to be a trilogy or trilogies. :exploding_head:

Anyway, off my nerd soap box now…

4 Likes

Hey Adam,
You might regret mentioning your like of Tolkien. My partner is the editor for the Tolkien Society magazine. Mind if she gets in touch?!!

LOL. I will confess I am a fringe fan, but I do indeed enjoy his works. If you all haven’t read Sanderson, give him a look. Since it is obvious you like epics works check out his Stormlight Archive series!

Neat! :smiley:

Sure thing.

It’s on my list. Let me reciprocate. Stephen Donaldson - Thomas Covenant Chronicles

Awesome! Thanks! Will note it down. :+1: :smiley:

• 1 for Stephen Donaldson. I’d also add A Wizard of Eathsea by Ursula LeGuin.

Maybe we need a new Category on the forum. :sunglasses:

1 Like