Can Alloy upload a document file

Hi, client wants to put a link to a Word document (can also be a PDF) into the Alloy blog can this be done?

Thanks
Pat

Alloy does not allow you to upload such a document in the Editor. You’d need to upload it via FTP and link to it within your blog post.

There is a really good stack for this sort of thing, it’s called Repository, made by Instacks.

1 Like

Thanks Alan, that’s a pity not so easy to tell a client as I know they would not be able to do that. Something to think about for the new version of Alloy.
Regards
Pat

1 Like

@pat : Yes, it may be hard for a client to do this on their own (FTP stuff). As @TemplateRepo mentioned Repository is really the way to go. I’ll admit Repository is a bit of overkill if the client only has 1 “thing” they want visitors to download. But you can use Repository on multiple sites for other clients as well.

Although I suppose not impossible, it would not be easy for this capability to be added to Alloy.

Hi Peter (@pat) – I am sorry. But this isn’t something that the Alloy editor for Blog Posts should really be handling I don’t think.

I don’t know that it would be extremely hard to do, I just don’t see it as more than a niche need honestly. There is a lot of other things on my future features todo list that I think would be more important and widely used that I want to get into Alloy.

@elixirgraphics I agree. I’m just thinking of the added support you would likely get bombarded with when adding this feature!

I think the process that @mitchellm and @TemplateRepo outlined would work pretty well for this. Hope that helps you out Paul, Peter, errr… Pat (@pat) :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:

2 Likes

This is what I meant to post last night, but got my scripts mixed up so deleted the post.

If Repository is OTT for you, it doesn’t get much simpler than this: GitHub - jcampbell1/simple-file-manager: A Simple PHP file manager. The code is a single php file.

Just create a folder, add the index.php file you get in the package downloaded from that linked page, change the password, and boom, you have a super simple file upload system.

I used this loads before moving to Repository.

There’s also this free stack which creates a simple file upload system - FileMan | Stacks4Stacks

But I suspect from the OP that the issue is the client finding the correct link and then adding it to the post.

I have a similar problem: My client wants to publish his announcements as attractively designed PDF files on the blog. These are, for example, posters of events. When testing, I noticed that I can drag and drop such PDF files into the editor (but uploading with the image-upload button is not possible), they then appear as a kind of image or preview in the post, but only the first page of the PDF file if it is multi-page. If I link this “image” of the PDF with the file in the image-uploads folder, I can then click on it and get the full view of the file. That would be ok as far as it goes.
The only problem is that this only seems to work in Safari, other browsers at best show a file icon that you can click on to open the PDF file, or they show nothing at all.

My customer would have to do the following as a workaround: load the PDF file with drag and drop - or even more complicated with FTP upload - into the image uploads folder on the server, make a screenshot jpg of the PDF file, and link this in the editor to the PDF file on the server.
But isn’t there a smarter, more official way of inserting and displaying PDF files in the blog and in embeds? Or can this be implemented in Alloy in the future?

Alloy is not designed to handle PDF files. The uploader handles images only. This is why it is an Image Upload button. The reason you’re getting the first page is because by some happenstance the compression that is run on the image uploads is likely converting that first page into an image. You cannot upload PDFs in Alloy.

Thank you for the clarification. Then I will explain the workaround to my client and he will have to work with it.

1 Like