Do you use Dark Mode features for your site building?

I’m trying to gauge people’s interest in Foundry’s Dark Mode features. For myself I find the feature to interesting on the whole, but I don’t find myself drawn to implement it on my sites as I usually have a specific look I’m going for.

So, I’m looking for feedback for future development, as right now I don’t know how important this feature really is…

• Do you use the Dark Mode settings?
  • If so, how often? Every site? Every page you make?
  • Are the Dark Mode feature practical and useful or are they more of a gimmick?
  • What is your goal when using the settings?
  • If you don’t use them, is there a reason? Is there something that would make you want to use them?
  • Would you be impacted negatively if future stacks didn’t incorporate Dark Mode options?

Any and all feedback is welcome.

1 Like
    Yes
    Every site and page.
    Practical and useful.
    Many people use dark mode on PC and mobile, so customers ask about this.
  • If you don’t use them, is there a reason? Is there something that would make you want to use them?
  • Would you be impacted negatively if future stacks didn’t incorporate Dark Mode options?
    Yes.
2 Likes

Hi Adam,

I love using Foundry to build and maintain my Rapipweaver websites but in all honesty have never used the Dark Mode settings introduced in version 2.

They don’t interest me and I’ve never experimented with them. I can’t see any serious benefit for my visitors.

In my case there would be no negative impact if future stacks didn’t incorporate Dark Mode options.

2 Likes

I have never used it. I may have a play one day but not particular interested. Too much like the old days when all my software development was dark mode! White/Green/Orange on black backgrounds. OK, a bit further back I used blue on white thermal printers as an interface device but that’s another story.

There were a couple of dark mode themes in iWeb years ago which I used for a short time.

Dark mode is great for these sort of forums though as I can read it late at night without lighting up the entire room!

Now back to my green on black background terminal window for some more coding…

2 Likes

I love that you’ve incorporated dark mode options into Foundry. I’d be pretty bummed to see them not get supported anymore, or removed entirely. But I totally get that it may be a lot to maintain, and if you’re not seeing a lot of users leverage them in there sites it may not be worth the effort. But, for me, I use the dark mode settings a lot. Between the settings and the stack you can make some pretty amazing stuff! I can’t show anything here, but I use foundry to build a lot of prototypes to pitch ideas to project stakeholders in my profession. I’ve also used it to build an internal comms site at my previous job, and dark mode was an awesome extra layer of polish that surprised and delighted folks.

So I’d vote to please keep supporting it if it’s not too much! But again, I imagine it’s a lot of effort. I really appreciate it!

2 Likes
    Not, not so far
    It’s never been requested by a client and I don’t use them on my own sites
    I’m too long in the tooth to change now!
    N/A
    If a client requested them I’d add them in but I suspect at the price point I’m operating at, they won’t request it.
    At the moment, no, but it would only take a couple of clients to ask for Dark Mode support and it would. Sorry that’s not very helpful!
3 Likes

Thanks for the feedback so far everyone! Keep it coming. I want to know all of your thoughts on this feature set.

A couple of things I want to also mention –

• I’m not planning on taking this feature out of Foundry as it stands. I’m just trying to make informed decisions for the future development of Foundry-based stacks so that I can best use my time and make stuff that people are making use of.

• The reason, beyond my time, that I ask about these Dark Mode features is because it adds a lot of extra code to the stacks themselves. If this is something people aren’t enamored with I don’t want to keep compounding that.

• I see some people putting likes on certain posts here – that is great to see. It lets me know generally that others support the view they’ve “liked.” It would also be helpful to hear from those of you, to get your personal viewpoints, beyond that “like” as well.

Again, keep your feedback coming. It is important and very helpful.

2 Likes

To those of you who are “negative” to Dark Mode. Have you ever talked to your customers or explained to them how this works?

My experience is that if the customer is explained how a website can be adapted to a setting on PC/mobile, then they are very positive to Dark Mode.

Many people today use Dark Mode on PC, Tablet and mobile, and my opinion is that if a website is not adapted to this, then it is not designed well enough.

1 Like

I don’t use it currently. I’m only building websites for our own businesses, though - so until/unless I start building for external businesses, it’s not really an issue for me.

2 Likes

Hi @mrTablet – I’d rather keep this thread about the feature itself and not how other users interact with their clients. I think everyone here knows their clients, and themselves well enough. We’re not pitching for, or against Dark Mode features here. I’m trying to get honest feedback from everyone on their view of Dark Mode and don’t want people feeling pushed into it by others.

3 Likes

So far no client has asked for a dark mode. I do not have the time to play around with it, but as soon I can get a client to want it I will dive into the settings and see if all the elements I want to use in a site are covered. I think it is a great addition, bust mostly for tablets and mobile phones.

3 Likes
  • No.
  • N/A.
  • IMO gimmick.
  • N/A.
  • I don’t use them as I don’t see the point. Nor have ever had it mentioned to me by a client. I design sites typically with the clients corporate colours, so if the world ever evolves to the level of madness where a company has two corporate colours, one regular and one darkmode, I’ll either start to use darkmode or retire. Most likely the latter.
  • Not at all.
4 Likes

So far I’ve never used it, nor was I asked to use it.

Hans

1 Like

I wanted to follow up on this with a hypothetical question.
Let’s say I made a layout for an entire page all contained in one large container stack and didn’t use the dark mode settings. Then I duplicated the entire layout and styled it to be the dark mode variant and then wrapped it with the eclipse stack… would that work well? Would that be a really taxing page load? I’m asking because I’m imaging a world where Foundry doesn’t support the dark mode settings anymore. If the scenario I just described is an acceptable hack then I think I’d be fine with doing that even if it’s more work.

Not using it and nor was I have been asked to use it.

1 Like

That would be a bad idea on the whole. You’d then be duplicating everything on the page. Loading one image becomes two. One slideshow becomes two. Etc. This is ok on a small scale, swapping a couple of images on a page based on the user’s dark mode preference, but to swap an entire page’s content would be a bad idea.

1 Like

Another here that doesn’t use it, feel they are more of a gimmick. (sorry).

2 Likes

I will be buying Foundry and I plan on using Dark Mode like this… (if it’s even possible!) after 5 pm (after hours) our business site should switch over to a dark version…

Not a gimmick :slight_smile: - I’d like to think this is actually practical/thoughtful.

No never used. None of my clients asked about it.
But one day may be i’ll change my mind.

No, Dark Mode does not work in that way. Dark Mode reacts to your visitor’s Dark Mode settings in the operating system / device.