Does Foundry Template/Control Center manage Privacy message?

Hello Again! - Quick question I hope.

I’m using the latest version of Foundry to build our site. I’ve noticed while using RW that the privacy modal will sometimes “break,” the text color goes “white” on “white.”

No sure of the cause. It’s not clear where this modal picks up it’ style from, I know how to disable and I’ve “disabled & enabled, & restarted RW” a few times to troubleshoot.

I’ve posed this issue on Realmac’s new community as well.

I need to get this fixed. Right now new visitors just see this:

Foundry doesn’t directly interact with your privacy popup. They most likely share some basic markup like button and paragraph tags. So if you’ve set the paragraph styling to be white text then that is probably your problem.

Showing fine here.

Safari:

Chrome:

1 Like

thank you! yeah, like so many things with RW, things break and then resolve themselves. I launched the app this morning and found the text went back to the way it was.

Really frustrating. Your point around the CSS style overflowing into this modal makes since, not sure how I resolve this next time it happens. RW is making it real hard to love.

That is not a RW thing. That is simply how CSS works. CSS is meant to be cascading like that. It’s right there in the name Cascading Style Sheet. :wink:

I get that. I’m referring to the lack of insight into these overlaps. No clue why it changed the first time across all pages and no clue why it’s now back the way it was.

THAT is a RW thing. Sorry… I know people are protective over RW and it’s a neat tool but it is buggy AF and just eats TIME. I don’t have a lot of tolerance for poorly supported tech and I hope Ver 9 addresses this issues.

Not being protective of anything, just stating the facts.

If you have two CSS rules targeting the same selector, one is going to win out. That is going to be the one most recently declared, or the one using the !important attribute. The privacy popup is likely built to have no styling applied to its <p> and <button> tags on purpose. This way it can pick up whatever the theme is providing. I’d venture to guess something on the page was setting the color attribute for the paragraph tag to white.

@elixirgraphics Thank you for that insight, and please take no ill will in my post, I speak from the perspective of someone with advanced technical knowledge outside of HTML, it’s not even a second language for me, tho I understand it’s structure and purpose. And I share these comments in hopes a different perspective can help push the tool forward and improve on what I honestly think is great. yet heartbreaking when you loose MONTHS of work in Seconds because you don’t speak the language and you thought RW was your translator.

Your points around the CSS behavior in RW is helpful to understand. However, as someone who doesn’t speak the language I’m looking to RW to translate consistently the causes, effects of changes to my project.

As someone new to this community I’ve noticed themes in the threads, none of which I have time to unpack, but the vibe around RW and it’s support is different. I’d obviously like to hear from others, perhaps I’m not reading the room accurately yet. I point to recent threads around RW 9 - a move I think to be more USER centric - however, its a change many in the developer/supplier space of RW have differing opinions and emotions around.

Anyway… my point is… M1 Compatibility, Ctrl+Z Stability, Ctrl+S Accuracy, Lack of UX around issues like this… and don’t get me started around the marketplace.

At this point this issue with the modal is resolved. However, not speaking the language, I’m not sure how to keep the Modal from NOT picking up changes I don’t intend.

Thank you for your support and clarity and work in this space.

If you have a problem that you think we can help you solve we’re more than will to take a look at it. Especially if you think it is due to one of my tools I offer.

I believe you think that CSS behavior in RapidWeaver is different from elsewhere on the web, and it is not. RapidWeaver shields you from having to write code but it can’t shield or keep you from changing things that will impact your site design because of underlying code. It can only do so much. In reality you’re combing a lot of complex code when you build your site in RapidWeaver and some of it will inevitably interact with other code on the page. That is just web design on the whole.

We’re going to skip poking the hornets nest so-to-speak here in a thread that is about CSS and whether Foundry interacts with RapidWeaver’s built-in privacy alert popup. There’s plenty of other areas of the internet that these things can be debated.

If you’re having issues with compatibility or crashes be sure to reach out to Realmac Support (support@realmacsoftware.com) as only they can help you with that. Myself, or other users here, are not going to be able to address these concerns for you.

In this case you would avoid setting your paragraph text in the main Foundry Control Center to white.

If you have a problem that you think we can help you solve we’re more than will to take a look at it. Especially if you think it is due to one of my tools I offer.

Will do. Sometimes it’s hard to tell the boundaries between RW and plugins, Themes, etc. Case and point. Your suggestions on changing Foundry Control Center paragraph to “White.”

I wish I had a video of what was happening last night. Kept me up until 11pm trying to resolve.

For no reason colors within my Foundry based stack just started shifting. Specifically the Backdrop background gradient color. Was set and worked perfectly, for days. then for no reason I’m aware of… could have been caused by RW crash… IDK>. The privacy message text goes from Black (the setting in foundry you mentioned) to White. on all pages. Close RW, restart following day… it’s back to normal.

My larger point is support and quality. And in my mind as a user, any form that talks about this product or its related products that have such blurry boundaries is an open space for the overall ecosystem and community it creates.

None of this is free (time, plugins to fill gaps, support subs, updates) . Tho I’m sure many who develop in the space are very under valued. It’s really about the customer. And RW and it’s ecosystem demands ALOT from its customer.

In this case you would avoid setting your paragraph text in the main Foundry Control Center to white.

Speaking of Theme controls… what purpose does the “Master Style” panel have, it some times aligns with Foundry when set to “Theme Default” and some times doesn’t. It has several options listed as “page styles”… again this panel appears and disappears at random and can freak me out when it appears to take over my already complete designs before flipping back. BTW All of my plug-ins and software say their up-to-date and Rosetta is installed on my M1 Mac. I noticed these behaviors from the beginning on intel Mac too. I suspect RW doesn’t like being sandboxed, but that’s my guess.

If you’re having issues with compatibility or crashes be sure to reach out to Realmac Support (support@realmacsoftware.com) as only they can help you with that. Myself, or other users here, are not going to be able to address these concerns for you.

It’s unclear who to speak to honestly… I’d say half the time its finger pointing.

We’re going to skip poking the hornets next so-to-speak here in a thread that is about CSS and whether Foundry interacts with RapidWeaver’s built-in privacy alert popup. There’s plenty of other areas of the internet that these things can be debated.

Again, I’m attempting to provide constructive feedback to a product I like and a team of developers I respect. As what I believe is the target customer for this ecosystem of products, I hope it’s received as intended.

In Foundry? Not much at all. Most controls are in the individual stacks. The theme is a “blank theme” for Foundry’s modular tools to live inside of.

Never seen this happen in my entire time using RapidWeaver. I’ve been using RW since 2005 and designing addons for it since 2006. Sounds like you’ve got underlying issues that may be tied to your installation of the app or some other problem. Contact Realmac: support@realmacsoftware.com

I’m specifically detailing that those problems are app related and you should address them with Realmac. :+1:

If you want to give feedback on the app itself, that is for Realmac, not me. I can’t do anything with your feedback of the app.

Back to your issue with the privacy message… There are stacks available that allow you to style this message directly. One such stack is Marathia PM Beautifier. Although it seems that the Marathia site is no longer active, which is a shame. But other solutions exist.

However, and the is a HUGE however. The built-in RW privacy message is just that: A privacy message, or warning. It does nothing to control the use of Cookies by the site user, which depending on your location might be a legal requirement.

If you are in an area that requires cookie consent, or if the site you are building is going to be available to people in an area that requires cookie consent, then you need to look elsewhere for cookie control, as the privacy message feature doesn’t offer this.

@TemplateRepo Helpful! Thank you.

@TemplateRepo - Thoughts on Stacks4Stacks Cookie Manager?

Just as a side, it would be awesome if this community developed a certification process for RW plugins, themes, etc.

This appears to be a free solution, but without a full code review, how can I be sure it’s not doing something it shouldn’t with this data? If the target Audience for RW is not fluent HTML speakers, to expect them to know about and find these holes isn’t reasonable to me, one of those users.

This would be something you need to take up with Realmac, the developers of the app. We as 3rd-part developers can do nothing for you in this regards. Hit them up with an email if this is something you want to discuss with them.

Anyone out there with some bandwidth for a small contract to implement Cookie Management and Full EU / GOV privacy compliance on a Foundry built website?

Is the site using cookies or third party embeds at all? I can have a look.

I’d also be interested in something like this.