Glide issues - sample file ttached

I’m having two issues with Glide navigation which i don’t know how to solve:

1. The first is the Scroll Threshold range which doesn’t work for sections with little content: say for example a list of two or three links. Why not allow the use specify a greater ranger or the full range (0-100%) or even provide another alternative unit like pixels? This can be experienced opening the file linked below this post:
  • open it, change to preview mode and click section 20 on the glide nav items on the left > Note how the highlight blue box highlight the section 21 rather than 20.

• The second refers to a specific situation for which i have created a sample file (linked below). When we use a large number of glide nav items (for a documentation page with several sections for example) which have a larger height that the browser page (because they are simply larger than the browser max height or because the browser window isn’t maximised and just using half of the available screen space), the user can’t select the invisible nav items because they don’t scroll. Open the attached file below and try this:

• set the RapidWeaver window to half the screen size height so you are only able to see the glide nav items up to section 14 in Preview Mode

1. start scrolling the page slowly - the glide nav items will be highlighted in blue while you do it- until the highlight blue box disappear on the item 15
    My question is: how does the user select the items below the item 14 if they don’t start scrolling up? If you continue scrolling down, the glide nav items will start scrolling when the content items reaches section 25/26, but until there the have no way to use the glide nav items on the left to choose a section.

You can download the sample file from here:
http://d.pr/f/nnTZHH

Hi, I added many paragraph to some of the sections to increase the parts of each sections …
Well I can say for me (I can be wrong) it’s working fine
Take care Brown

Hey there @webcore

The Glide navigation is aimed at a specific sort of design goal. Scrolling through larger sections of content in an easy to navigate manner. So for your first point (1.) Your sections are going to have to be bigger than just a few small items. The navigation needs a bigger section of content so it can know when / where to trigger the navigation item styling to indicate he current section. If the section is too small it will get confused. There’s not a way around it. It is expecting substantial sections of content as that is what it is built for.

And for the section item, regarding the number of navigation items and some not being visible (2.) With fixed positioning navigation you’re going to be limited with the number if items you can have. It is a downside to that style of navigation. Just like a horizontal navigation bar that is limited by the width of a page, the vertical, fixed-position navigation like that in Glide is limited to the height of the browser window. With the style navigation you have in Glide you need the navigation to be in a fixed position and not scroll with the rest of the content on the page. This means limiting the number of items you can insert into the vertical, fixed-position navigation.

These two things are just limitations of using this type element on a page.

Thanks for your reply @elixirgraphics. I understand your points., but in that case how do i achieve this using Foundry?
I need to create a documentation site with a list of items (index) on the left and the content on the right. I need both sides to be scrollable. The content on the right must be on a single page and the links on the left should make it scroll to the correct section (i mean i don’t want to link to different sections of the content as if there was a iframe on the right side). How do achieve this in Foundry? Seems the Glide stack isn’t the best choice from your description…

What you’re describing, Glide without the navigation items being fixed in position, is not something that Foundry offers as a stack.

This is because in the scenario you describe, once the visitor would click on a navigation item, the page would scroll and since the navigation items aren’t fixed in place, they too would scroll with the page and no longer be visible to the visitor. So to select a new item from the navigation the visitor would then have to scroll all the way back up the page to click on another navigation item. This is not a good situation for the visitor.

1 Like

@webcore: Adam has already explained the problem with your initial idea (two scrolling sections) but there are other ways to accomplish the same end goal. One is to use Will Woodgate’s Jump stack:

Jump also has a very nice Table of Contents feature where you can put it anywhere you want on a page. So, for example, the ToC for a long page of content could be in a SideSlide stack. If you have a button or link to always make this available, then so is the ToC.

Another option is to put a Jump stack’s ToC (not the content per se) into a Glider stack by Joe Workman. In the cases of SideSlide and Glider they are not scrolling (thus avoiding a big problem) but they are always available.

But if I understand your situation correctly then Jump stack is a great first step.

2 Likes

I haven’t tried the glide in Foundry yet but it makes sense what @elixirgraphics says that you need to have content of more than just a few items for this work for the user. I make websites for people who usually want a lot of information to be viewed and sorting out information and making it easy and accessible for the user is always the priority.

I took a look at your RW file and was wondering if it is just links that you are organising then you could use an accordion style stack with simple collapsible links - Ziplist by Will Woodgate https://rapidweavercommunity.com/addons/stacks/seydesign-ziplist (not sure if it works with Foundry). I use this for arranging over 2,000 manuals neatly on one page in one of my websites. http://www.intelligentsecurity.org/customer/documents/downloads.html

Another approach maybe to use Marathia’s foootnotes stack in the organisation of information: https://rapidweavercommunity.com/addons/stacks/footnoter-stacks. Again, I am not sure if it works with Foundry though but here is an example of it working in combination with Nick Cate’s Rail’s stack: http://bfeps.org/works/topics/V-behavioral-manifold/

I hope that helps you in some way.

2 Likes

Marathias stack of notes (FootNoter stack) seems like a good choice, yes, in fact it will work with Foundry and Jeroen from Marathia is always very useful to sort things out :smiley: