How can I cash images or other static web components?

Hi all

I just analysed my web page with PageSpeed Insights. It was sugested that I should do something about cashing. I have no idea how it is done. Does Foundry provide e feature for that?

As far as I know Foundry does not have this as a feature. IMO I think it may have something to do with your web hosting company. To speed up your page make sure any images on the page are optimized, keep javascript calls as minimal as needed. KISS, keep it simple somehow. Less is more on the page.

Dan and Ben have some tutorials on optimizing images for faster load times. https://blog.realmacsoftware.com/image-optimisation-tips-for-faster-page-loads/

A way to cache your website would be to use the .htaccess file by adding a few lines of code.

A site that discusses this is: https://varvy.com/pagespeed/leverage-browser-caching.html

Here are two podcasts by Joe Workman on how to set up the .htaccess file:

1 Like

Hey there @PsykoterapiH!

Foundry doesn’t do any image caching for you. That is something you’d need to do through something like an .htaccess file or the likes. There are services out there that will cache your entire site, but I personally steer clear of them for the most part.

Honestly I take the Page Speed Insights with a grain or two of salt. Optimize your images as @Steve_J suggests, create good content, and make your site responsive (something which Foundry helps you do!). Working within something like RapidWeaver you’re almost never going to appease Page Speed Insights 100% of the time. Heck, Google themselves don’t even achieve that (PageSpeed Insights).

If caching your images is something you’re interested in though, have a look at the Varvy link that @dks0035 linked to above.

To take advantage of browser image caching you just need to warehouse your images. If you put the same image on every page, then a normal Stacks image will be given a unique name on each page which is just how stacks works. That image will be downloaded once for each page. If you warehouse that same image you can use the exact same image on each page meaning each time each pages loads, it will refer to only one image stored on your server instead of multiple copies of the same image.

E.g. If that image is 200kb, you would save having to download an extra 1Mb of the same images on a 6 page site. So you can see how it can really speed up a site IF you are using the same big image on each page. Image intensive sites have a lot to gain but sites with small images don’t see that great a gain.

Nearly every Page Speed type site reports that you could speed up your site using caching. I wouldn’t worry about it unless you need to speed up your site because you can actually see it being slow.

If so, use free warehouse enabled image stacks such as S4S Graphic and also all of the BWD stacks support warehousing.

As a recent and perhaps over-enthusiastic convert to warehousing images, can I add my ten cents worth.
Without resorting to page speed insights I noticed that an image-intensive project of mine was very slow to load - commented on by users more to the point.
Going to warehoused images has made load speed a non-issue.
And a side benefit has been that it’s so easy to keep track of a relentlessly multiplying number of images, many displayed on more than on page.
One of the comments I’ve seen on the Realmac RW forum is that you have to get used to handling file pathnames, but Cyberduck (and I’m sure others as well) make this so easy with its “copy URL” facility. With a couple of clicks you have your image displayed in your RW project - seo friendly image file name and, with a tiny bit of tweaking, alt name as well.
I happen to use yuzoolthemes warehouse image stack.
All the best