I have a few questions about building my site with Foundry

Hi @Kip , I’d re-import all the images in the resources of my new RW project. They will ultimately be uploaded in the ‘resources’ folder on the web server.
But you can opt to warehouse the images on the web server yourself and work with links in your project. It’s a choice…

Screen Shot 2021-06-23 at 17.14.15
versus

Screen Shot 2021-06-23 at 17.14.42

1 Like

I’ll probably re-link everything locally. I don’t know if the site will always be on the same server and I would like the images to back up locally and reside locally. I think before I upload the rewrite I would like to take everything down remotely and do a fresh upload of everything. I have had issues like links will remain to pages which I removed on some of the pages. I’m not sure what could be causing that but I just figure I might as well start completely over and so that none of the old problems come across.

1 Like

@elixirgraphics I’ve been doing a lot of working converting over to Foundry this week and have been pretty happy with how it is going! There are a couple of things I couldn’t figure out though:

1. I put together Mega Menu on one of the pages and just need to figure out how to get it on the other pages as well. The menu will probably be the same on each page except I’ll pick colors which match each page. After watching the video on using this tool I don’t think it explained how to apply the menu from one page to all the others.

2. I see that there is a tool, Alloy, for making blogs. Is there a way move my Mountain Theme blogs over to Alloy? I probably have about 10-15 entries at this point.

I’m providing some very short answers.

1. Mega Menu: copy/paste to new pages as you need. If you want the same exact menu (i.e. no color changes, etc.) then it may be useful to put into a partial, and then copy/paste. That way if you make a change to the menu on one page it will be made across all pages where it is also placed in a partial.
  2. Alloy. There’s no automatic way to transfer posts. The content of an Alloy post is done via markdown. In general you can copy/paste a post that was in Mountain over to a new Alloy post. But things like bold will need to be done via markdown. Inserting images will also be done a bit different. If your blog posts contain all text this should all be very simple. If they have a lot of images, videos, and the such it will take longer. Either way, with 15 posts this should be a relatively painless conversion once you get your Alloy blog up and running.
5 Likes
  1. I haven’t used a partial before but my guess to what that does is you can make changes to the menu, like add or subtract links, but keep part of it the same like color choice?

2. It should be fine to move content over manually. Mountain Theme had a limit to how much media you could add, I think, like one piece of media per page. So each entry isn’t that populated anyways. So it’s mostly copying the text, categories, tags and probably five photos.

@Kip Probably the best place to start with understanding partials is in this video:
https://yourhead.com/partials/

It is a video from Stacks 3 (i.e. not 4) but the way partials works is almost exactly the same in Stacks 4.

1 Like

Perhaps you do a video one day, on the different, let’s call it “top level”, stacks, and some best practices? E.g. Container vs. Margins, Jumbotron, Banner, Columns (e.g. placing columns directly on the page vs. in a container). #justthinking

1 Like

There’s not a lot to them honestly.

Container - use to contain content to a max-width of your choosing. This is pretty much it’s sole purpose.

Margins - use to add margins and / or padding around content. Can be adjusted at each breakpoint.

A lot of stacks in Foundry have a simple use case. This is so you can combine them is a variety of ways. It also keeps down the size of the stacks to make things quicker in Edit Mode, and less weighty on your page.

1 Like

Thanks Mitchell, I’ll look into the partials video.

There has been a lot to go over re-writing about ten pages this week! There were a few parts I wasn’t able to figure out. I’ll save the blog conversion for later since I have my hands full with these pages I am currently working on. I think I will most likely split the project up into two or three different phases so to keep things manageable. I imagine soon enough I’ll need to send actual links when trying to fix a page.

I am curious if there is a way to group pages together in the my sidebar when I am working? When I was in Mountain Theme I used an offsite page to group the different sections together. Being able to collapse a section cleaned up the sidebar and made it easier to find pages I was looking for. Is there something like that in Foundry? When I grouped files that way it also made pretty long URLs though (www.name.com/blog/files/Fairlylongpagename.html) It would be nice if there was a way to keep name’s shorter since social sites often have character limits.

Also can I filter out the stacks that are from the default Rapidweaver themes? I accidentally dragged one of them on a page and the photos on all my pages disappeared. It seems like those things are related since when I took it out everything was fine again.

For the “vertical tabs” stack is there a way to make the background area another color other than white? I only see options to to change border color and the space behind the two tabs color. I am currently using vertical tabs on the homepage but it might not be the right solution. The “sections stack” looked really nice when I watched what it could do in the instructional video. I’ll have to try that out as well.

Wow this is a lot of things to do at the same time. I think this week will be easier since about five of the ten pages are pretty well finished. The other five are pretty well along too.

Hi Adam, I was watching your video on the float stack and for some reason I can’t make it work. I was hoping you could catch what I am doing wrong? I kept re-watching the video clip thinking that didn’t enter one of the settings right so I did a screen grab the sidebar. Also another in editing mode showing the image in the normal content area and the body set under floated content. I was hoping the text would wrap around the bottom of the image. (The reason I set the text down a few lines is I want it to go below that intro type in the image.)

I think you want the Paragraph stack to be the Normal Content and the Image in the Floated Content. That should make the text flow alongside the image (left or right depending on the setting) and then continue below it. By default, the Float stack does not float content for mobile devices, so make sure your window it wide enough to be viewing the tablet or larger breakpoint.

As @DLH pointed out I think you’ve simply got you two items mixed up in your layout. If you go back and watch the video carefully you’ll see that the video does as @DLH describes.

On a non-related note – it is probably best to create new topics for specific questions and problems instead of lumping everything into one thread. It will help people assist you better and will make it easier for future forum goers to find information based off of previous posts.

Yeah, I just starting to think the same thing with how long this thread is getting. The problem is this thread is my second attempt getting the site re-written and I was afraid if I didn’t get this pushed through when I had the chance this week I would need to do a third attempt later. :grimacing: I’m very happy to report that only two major things need to be redone at this point; the navigation and homepage. I can split those into different threads instead of post here.

I got Float to work and I still can’t figure out what went wrong. I re-did the page watching your video and it worked just like your video. I then tried to apply all the same settings to the Float stack that wasn’t working and it still didn’t work. So I deleted that one and started over. The repetition of doing it over and over can be good since it starts to sink in.

@DLH Yeah, that is right. At first I kept switching the text and the image back and forth between the two areas (normal and floating) since it wasn’t clear to me what content should go where. When I think of floating I think of the text since that is the more flexible content which floats around the item. I’m glad to get this working now though! Thanks everyone.

Also I just noticed there is a Potion section and Thunder Section so I’ll remember to put the right content in those sections.

Glad you got it working.

A better way and more accurate way to think about it is that the image is floating among the text (main content).

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed 24 hours after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.