Layout issue with Foundry

I’m having some problems getting Foundry to work with the “Flatty” theme from Yuzoolthemes, I’m new to this, so I’m probably doing something stupid, but I get different renderings of the page just by dragging the ‘Foundry 1.2.2.2’ stack into the page. Without the Foundry stack, the page looks like:

as soon as I drag the Foundry stack into the page, the rendering changes (I can only put one image per post, so I’ll post the image in the next post)

This seems to be the case for both Safari and Chrome. Instead of the page expanding to fill the available browser real-estate, it’s now a fixed-width. I’ve got my ‘Layout’ set to ‘Fill’ in the inspector panel for Foundry, Border-width, Margin, and Padding are all 0. The ‘Modal Stack’ padding is set to 15, but doesn’t seem to change anything if I set it to 0.

At first I thought it was the ‘Poster’ stack, but this happens for any page, even one with just a ‘Text’ stack on it other than the Foundry one. Removing the Foundry plugin makes the render revert back to the original ‘fill the page’ rendering…

Any ideas ?

Cheers
Simon

This is what the rendering looks like when the Foundry stack is active:

You can only use the Foundry stacks with the foundry theme. The foundry main stack does not play well with other themes.

1 Like

Start here http://foundry.elixirgraphics.com/documentation/ for the basics of the theme and stacks.

2 Likes

I was reading that, but I didn’t actually see anywhere where it stated you have to use the Foundry theme for the stacks to work… That’s a little disappointing if so, but at least I caught it early on…

Foundry is a free-form framework. It uses a blank theme to allow you to build your site from the ground up using the various stacks within the huge suite of stacks. This means it uses its own blank theme instead of other pre-built themes. Using a pre-built theme would defeat the purpose of the suite of stacks since the design and structure is already preexisting within the theme.

1 Like

It might be worth making that explicit in the documentation - I can see where you’re coming from, but it would be nice to start off with a bunch of customisations and then add in extras where you need them.

Foundry is still excellent, though, don’t get me wrong…

Not sure what you mean. If you can elaborate it will help me out. :slight_smile:

Well, I’m not sure if it’s possible, but if I already have a theme that I’m using / that I like, it’s a bit of a pain to go and re-implement it in Foundry. It’d be nice if Foundry could use an existing theme’s setup.

Example: the ‘Flatty’ theme has a black bar at the top of the screen with the page title / subtitle on it on the left, and the navigation-enabled pages listed on the right. I can do all of that in Foundry with its various components, but it’d be nice if I didn’t have to.

Maybe it’s not possible, hey, I’m new to this :slight_smile:

That is definitely not possible. Sorry. It isn’t a limitation of Foundry or the theme or even RapidWeaver, it is just that the elements in question don’t work like that. In fact themes are bundles comprised of HTML, CSS, Javascript and images. They have no executable code. The same goes for Stacks addons. This means they’d have no way whatsoever of interacting with one another like that. Even if they did the stack would need a great deal of logic to be able to replicate pieces of a theme. They’re just different tools altogether is all.

Fairy nuff :slight_smile:

I still think it’s worth pointing out in the docs though, for the clueless like myself, it saves having the “Oh, it doesn’t do that ?” moment if it’s clear from the start.

Cheers
Simon