Let's start talking about Foundry 3 šŸ”„

I thought Iā€™d take today to answer a few of the questions Iā€™ve seen come through my support inbox over the last few days regarding Foundry 3.

[Q.] Can I use Foundry 2ā€™s tools within Foundry 3?
[A.] No. Foundry 2 and Foundry 3 are completely different under the hood and are based around vastly different versions of Bootstrap. Each versionā€™s tools are not cross compatible with one another. As a result of this Iā€™ve included a lot of the functionality from Foundry 2ā€™s Potion and Thunder add-on packs into Foundry 3ā€™s tools.

[Q.] I have a new site I need to build ASAP! When will Foundry 3 be released?
[A.] Iā€™ll be announcing the release date next week. I promise it will not be a long wait though.

[Q.] Can I buy it early and use the beta?
[A.] No, the beta is not available for sale. Additionally even if it were youā€™d have no documentation to view as Foundry 3ā€™s DOCs have not been published anywhere accessible to the public. Hang in there, it wonā€™t be a long wait.

[Q.] What version of Stacks do I need to be using for Foundry 3?
[A.] Foundry 3 will run in Stacks 4 or 5. That said I highly recommend Stacks 5. The latest version of Stacks allows me to check the macOS version number, among other things, to help customize your experience with things like Toolbox. Additionally the Stacks 5 Smart Groups will help you in organizing your Library of tools.

[Q.] What version of RapidWeaver should I be running for Foundry 3?
[A.] Foundry 3 will work in both RapidWeaver Classic as well as RapidWeaver 8.

[Q.] Can I upgrade my current Foundry 2 site to Foundry 3?
[A.] Foundry 3 has been completely re-engineered from the ground up. Every tool has been re-written from scratch. These changes bring more power and speed to both Foundry and your sites, while maintaining drag-and-drop ease. Because of this, Foundry 3 is not directly backwards compatible with Foundry 2.

But donā€™t fret just yet! Foundry 2 and Foundry 3 safely co-exist in your Stacks library with no problem. This means you can use the latest and greatest Foundry 3 for building new, modern sites, or retooling old ones from the ground up, while still maintaining existing sites with Foundry 2.

[Q.] Will the legacy documentation for Foundry 2 be available still after Foundry 3 launches?
[A.] Yes. Iā€™ve duplicated the Foundry 2 DOCs to their own sub-domain that youā€™ll have access to in the event you need it.

If you have questions relating to anything Iā€™ve shown up to this point let me know. You can shoot me a direct message or post in this thread. That said thereā€™s a lot more to share with
everyone in the coming days.

Hereā€™s a look at the topics for the next few blog posts and videos:

• Jan. 27, 2023 ā€” ā€œSpeeding up your workflow within Edit Modeā€ + :movie_camera::movie_camera:
  • Jan. 30, 2023 ā€” ā€œFoundryā€™s new color palettes will keep you color coordinatedā€ + :movie_camera:
  • Feb. 01, 2023 ā€” ā€œCraft custom styles for your Foundry-based site using Blacksmithā€ + :movie_camera::movie_camera:
5 Likes

One thing I will say since I donā€™t have a blog post or video today ā€“ Your purchase of Foundry 3 will include a set of reusable templates which include designs for banners, call to action sections, footers, navigation and more. Youā€™ll also receive 3 Starter Kits (pre-built project files), which also include their own reusable templates within them.

8 Likes

Hi Adam, I bought Foundry, Potion Pack, Thunder Pack and Alloy last week, the royal flush of them all. Just started building a site with them, is it worth me saying to the customer just hang fire a while and I wait for Foundry 3? Also what is the upgrade path, if I had heard the news last week instead of this week I would have held out :grinning:

2 Likes

What about flux? Is that just a foundation 2 thing?

Further to last comment I have to say I am loving the approach you have to columns, at first it was different than what I am used to and decided I didnā€™t like them, then after using them I thought wow, I donā€™t have to rebuild, re-insert new column structures etc, I can just modify if I change a design layout halfway through. In summary, I love the Foundry columns :grinning:

2 Likes

That would be up to you and your client, I canā€™t really advise you there. There will be a grace period for customers who purchased Foundry 2 recently.

Yeah, that is the way things happens, right?! When you ask about Upgrade Path, what are you referring to specifically?

I think you mean Foundry, right? If so, Flux is not tied to Foundry. It is not a Foundry-based tool. Flux can be used with any theme. That said it works quite well with Foundry though. This means Flux is unaffected by this Foundry update since theyā€™re not tied together in any way.

2 Likes

Theyā€™re about to become a little different in Foundry 3, but more versatile and with double the number of breakpoints.

2 Likes

I was meaning cost, if it is only a few weeks or so is there a reduced upgrade option? I havenā€™t completed a site yet in Foundry 2 but Foundry 3 being very soon Iā€™m thinking ā€œAaaargh!!! Iā€™ve just spent Ā£200 and the system is soon to be redundantā€¦ ooh I feel wobbly I need a little sit downā€

Hey donā€™t think Iā€™m complaining, this is progress and exciting, itā€™s nice and rare when you get a new system, put it through its paces, get to know strengths, think it would be nice if could also do this, in my case SVG tools and Wham! I see in your video an SVG tool in the preview video and I think ā€œYesss!ā€. Itā€™s just now Iā€™m thinking Foundry 2 wonā€™t see any published action beacuse Foundry 3 is very soon, so wondering if there is a reduced cost upgrade.

Tah - Ben

The grace period I spoke of above means that anyone who purchased within a specific period of time leading up to Foundry 3ā€™s release will receive a free upgrade. This is how the Foundry v1 to v2 upgrade worked as well as the Alloy v2 to Alloy v3 upgrade.

2 Likes

Ooh I see what you mean now, blimey, what a guy! Thanks. If release is later rather than sooner I understand if it will inccur an upgrade fee though, really looking forward to its release. Thanks again

Iā€™ll speak more about grace periods, upgrade discounts and more when I announce the release date next week.

5 Likes

Yes. I did mean tied into foundry 2. I will use some flux layouts with my currant build and it will be easy to carry those over to foundry 3.

1 Like

Hey Adam, super excited about Foundry 3!

When (re)creating a site in Foundry 3, can existing non-Foundry stacks be copy-pasted in?

I use a few stacks for specific needs, like Willā€™s neon text effect, a couple of 1LD stacks, your Orbit stack. Can those standalone stacks be copied from my Foundry 2 project and pasted into Foundry 3ā€™s content areas like containers and columns?

Use Flux where Flux is warranted. Youā€™ll be surprised at how versatile the Foundry 3 Columns / Grid tool really is.

1 Like

Personally I would only redo a site if I wanted to redesign it completely. If your Foundry 2 site looks and works how you want now, thereā€™s no need to port it over to Foundry 3. Youā€™ve likely got other things you need and want to spend time doing in life. Recreating the same exact site seems like a time sink, IMHO.

As for using other non-Foundry, 3rd-party tools in Foundry 3 ā€” yes, you can use these tools from other developers with Foundry 3. Obviously Iā€™ve not tested them all, but most should work.

Thanks Adam. And there are a couple of sites I probably wonā€™t rework for now.

The passion-project Iā€™m currently building in v2 will be a pretty comprehensive site, and I like the idea of being able to take advantage of future Foundry 3 capabilities and enhancements. So even though it will be some work to recreate navigation, backgrounds, etc. and all the customization like sizes and breakpoint margins andā€¦

ANYway, in this case, and at my current point in building, I do think itā€™s worth it to pause and wait for Foundry 3. Itā€™s great that your approach with current users is always practical and pragmatic.

Re: keeping Foundry 2 and 3 both active in the Stacks library ā€“ I assume the best practice will be to create groups or smart groups to keep the tools separated clearly?

Iā€™ve added search terms for Foundry 3 to differentiate it from Foundry 2. You can use that term to create smart folders in Stacks 5.

3 Likes

Okay I suppose that would simplify things. To go back to the features that are not being used it could also be that some people havenā€™t found the chance to use a feature yet. I have been planning on using the ā€œImage Compareā€ tool for the last year but only got around to constructing the page this last week. I would like to get around to as many tools as I can.

Thanks Adam. I guess I didnā€™t read it very well (or take it in properly). Iā€™m looking forward to the new launch. Fortunately, Iā€™m a bit behind on rebuilding my own website and another couple I do, so the timing is great (at least if you are launching soon).

3 Likes