New to Foundry - need form help

I need to make a fairly long form with a combination of text fields and checkboxes -about 20.
Also a fixed subject (user cannot submit subject), and a success message or success page.

The forms included with Foundry are limited, can I customize them?
or do I need to spend $ on a plugin?

While Bootstrap4 provides a very nice suite of form components like radios/checkboxes, dropdown selects and such like (see here: http://v4-alpha.getbootstrap.com/components/forms/), the current form stack in Foundry does, I think its fair to say, represent a fairly conventionally featured and traditional ‘contact form’.

As far as I am aware there is no way to use that stack to inject the form control elements you mention. Though it would be very easy (and tempting) to go ahead and just use the Bootstrap provided components to ‘roll your own’ form.

For example just paste the below html into a HTML stack then preview…

Naturally you would need to catch the form input, probably with a PHP handler and do what you need to do, but maybe thats not a problem for you?

I have, thus far, tested:

Formloom / FormSnap / Machforms / SkyForms Pro

In Foundry and not had any issues (so far!).

As to whether @elixirgraphics may ever make a suite of form component stacks designed to leverage Foundry/Bootstrap is certainly not known to me, but I hope they do because those BS4 components look great. When I get some time I’ll probably make some re-usable snippets for common form layouts and write the PHP handlers for them. That will probably become my goto for forms in Foundry based projects.

“Forms for Foundry” would be a brilliant optional add-on-pack. But thats just my personal opinion.

Good luck with whatever you decide to do.

<form>
  <div class="form-group">
    <label for="exampleInputEmail1">Email address</label>
    <input type="email" class="form-control" id="exampleInputEmail1" aria-describedby="emailHelp" placeholder="Enter email">
    <small id="emailHelp" class="form-text text-muted">We'll never share your email with anyone else.</small>
  </div>
  <div class="form-group">
    <label for="exampleInputPassword1">Password</label>
    <input type="password" class="form-control" id="exampleInputPassword1" placeholder="Password">
  </div>
  <div class="form-group">
    <label for="exampleSelect1">Example select</label>
    <select class="form-control" id="exampleSelect1">
      <option>1</option>
      <option>2</option>
      <option>3</option>
      <option>4</option>
      <option>5</option>
    </select>
  </div>
  <div class="form-group">
    <label for="exampleSelect2">Example multiple select</label>
    <select multiple class="form-control" id="exampleSelect2">
      <option>1</option>
      <option>2</option>
      <option>3</option>
      <option>4</option>
      <option>5</option>
    </select>
  </div>
  <div class="form-group">
    <label for="exampleTextarea">Example textarea</label>
    <textarea class="form-control" id="exampleTextarea" rows="3"></textarea>
  </div>
  <div class="form-group">
    <label for="exampleInputFile">File input</label>
    <input type="file" class="form-control-file" id="exampleInputFile" aria-describedby="fileHelp">
    <small id="fileHelp" class="form-text text-muted">This is some placeholder block-level help text for the above input. It's a bit lighter and easily wraps to a new line.</small>
  </div>
  <fieldset class="form-group">
    <legend>Radio buttons</legend>
    <div class="form-check">
      <label class="form-check-label">
        <input type="radio" class="form-check-input" name="optionsRadios" id="optionsRadios1" value="option1" checked>
        Option one is this and that&mdash;be sure to include why it's great
      </label>
    </div>
    <div class="form-check">
        <input type="radio" class="form-check-input" name="optionsRadios" id="optionsRadios2" value="option2">
        Option two can be something else and selecting it will deselect option one
      </label>
    </div>
    <div class="form-check disabled">
        <input type="radio" class="form-check-input" name="optionsRadios" id="optionsRadios3" value="option3" disabled>
        Option three is disabled
      </label>
    </div>
  </fieldset>
  <div class="form-check">
      <input type="checkbox" class="form-check-input">
      Check me out
    </label>
  </div>
  <button type="submit" class="btn btn-primary">Submit</button>
</form>
2 Likes

Thank you for your assitance and the bootstrap link.
Looking at the forms you’ve tried it seems SkyForms Pro is the most comprensive for only $10, but that’s just from reading their info.

The old site was done with Dreamweaver/BBEdit… html/php.
So I tried RW and Foundry based on videos but they seem to lack the customization needed.
Forms are the most important part of our websites.
Looking to make site(s) mobile friendly since seeing mobile usage of sites going up from 23% to 46% in the last 5 years.
I’ve decided to try the DW 30-day free trial and convert the old to the new using DW… a slow process but for now it works for me. With DW you can start with a template then customize to your need, more so than most other WYSIWYG html editors. But I’d prefer not to get stuck with Adobe subscription fees, already moved from Photoshop to Pixelmator.
Thanks again.

You are moving from RW+Foundry to DW? Thats really interesting.

I’ve used loads of templates in RW and most of the freeform template-less solutions too. I reckon Foundry is the nicest and (by far and away) the fastest for producing quality responsive layouts. It would be a real shame to not use it because of a form.

May I ask if you would consider sharing a URL showing the gnarliest form you would be looking to recreate in RW+Foundry? It would be interesting to see it :slight_smile:

The form is the most important part of the websites we manage.
The reason to check out RW has to do with making them mobile friendly, they were made years ago before iOS… etc.
One form example http://partnershipforlongtermcare.com/quote.html
Uses html, php, and a success page.
DW has improved since v5. (last non-subscription version)… they’ve added the word “required” to the field, so no longer needing extra coding: function validate_form ( ) etc… making it simpler.

Because forms are so important to us I was a bit surprised so few RW/Foundry templates have forms, and those that have forms are very basic and uncustomizable. Then looking at add-ons it was hard to tell by their description how customizable they are. DW included template for forms no better, they use your email client to send the form. Today I’ve copied/pasted the old form and php using DW and changed some of the layout for responsive use.

I will still use RW/Foundry and probably try SkyForms Pro on the next site conversion.

Thanks for sharing.

I can certainly confirm that the form would be very simple to recreate in both SkyForms Pro or Bootstrap forms components. I actually played around with the first few chunks in Bootstrap as this conversation stimulated an interest in me to test using the BS grid inside the <form> element.

Works beautifully and very, very cool!

I think, on balance, the styling options offered by Sky Forms Pro edges the default BS4 form components, but the BS4 stuff is still top notch. I have some sites coming up that will also need some (semi) complicated forms and I think I’ll use BS4 and treat that as the excuse I need to make some re-usable templates.

Then looking at add-ons it was hard to tell by their description how customizable they are.

I hear you there! Formloom and FormSnap are both very good. In there you’ll find all the expected component and tools needed to compose fields, response/confirmation emails, required fields and validation options. But there was for me a slight learning curve to figure them out. With Sky Forms Pro/BS4 it sounds like you are in home territory with the HTML structure then yanking what you need out of $_POST anyway.

Best of luck whichever way you go :slight_smile:

Again, thanks.
I pretty much know DW … but not RW or BS… but like you said once you have the components in RW you need it is fantastic.
Going to get SkyForms and play with that for the next website conversion.

The Foundry form is meant to be a super simple contact form. Plugins like Formloom are a great way to build more custom forms and add them to a Stacks page. Building a free-form, form in the framework of a stack is a difficult undertaking if one wishes to keep things easy-to-use. This might be something I revisit down the road, but let me assure you I attempted to tackle this difficult task early on in Foundry’s development. There’s just so many permutations and odd pairings that it wasn’t easy to keep the beginner friendly approach that I’ve used in Foundry thus far.

Forms are an essential part of our sites, in fact the most important part. I understand the logic of making a simple form for the templates and was not my main reason to purchase Foundry. Since I was/am new to RW-Foundry I did not know how they worked until I installed and used them.

The descriptions for form plugins did not provide me with much to go on to decide which one(s) to try. I am thankful for experienced members like Kryten who have demo’d the various form plugins. Looking forward to using RW-Foundry-SkyForms on our next conversion.