Upgrade from 2 to Foundry 3. May still work with foundry 2?

Thanks, but my question is if there is a limitation if I upgrade and use the same registered purchase under the same email, or the correct way is to purchase version 3 as a new software, not an upgrade?
Other software vendors don’t admit to being upgraded if you want to use both versions, the last and the new one.

I guess that Foundry doesn’t have a registration code for a license, so both versions act as different apps inside Rapidweaver.

I’ll try upgrading.

Thanks.

You can use both versions for as long as you like @musulungo, there is no limitation on that. As @Steve_J pointed out, they exist and work side-by-side in RW and Stacks. I’ve been using then side-by-side for 1.5+ years now.

1 Like

Thanks for this fast response.

1 Like

Glad to help. Also if you need the Foundry 2 documentation in the future it is still available at this special location: https://f2docs.elixirgraphics.com

Hope you enjoy Foundry 3!

1 Like

Is there a way to filter the tools so that you just see the 2 tools or just see the 3 tools?

1 Like

YES! I was going to do a Quick Tips video on this soon, but you can search in your Stacks library to show one, or the other with two simple search terms:

Search for F2 to find all Foundry 2 tools.

Search for Foundry 3 or F3 to find all Foundry 3 tools. Searching for F3 also returns the F3 Shim for Alloy as well.

You can even make Smart Folders in Stacks 5 like so —

Foundry 2:

Foundry 3:

3 Likes

Okay good! One of the problems I had when starting Foundry is that I mixed all the Foundry tools with the built-in RW tools and wasn’t sure if I had a way to filter them. This was probably around 2020 or 2021. I can’t remember if smart folders was a feature in Stacks 4 but I have the latest Stacks 5.1 so that is an important feature.

In the past you could search for Foundry in the library and find all of the v2 tools. Now with two separate versions we needed an easy way to sort them. Using F2 and F3 as the simple search terms was the idea of the brilliant beta testers!

Oh yeah, it would be very difficult to tell the two Foundries apart! What was confusing before was that the built in RW tool would often have nearly the same name but after using it for a long enough time I just learned what stack to not use.

Hi,

I have a question concerning the upgrade too. I have bought the two last versions of Foundry and all of my Elixir software with my old email address. Now I have a new one. Is there a way to upgrade under my new email address or can it be changed in the payment system?

Thank you very, very much for your help!

You’ll need to email me so I can manually update your previous order(s) – shoot me an email at adam at elixirgraphics dot com and include your previous email address.

I‘ll do that. Thank you very much for your great support!

So does this mean that when I am using foundry 2 stacks and foundry 3 stacks, I will be required to put both foundry 2 and 3 controls stacks?

No. You cannot use Foundry 2 and Foundry 3 tools together. They are completely separate and should not be used in conjunction with one another at all.

1 Like

What about alloy, thunder, potion, and all the other stacks I’ve purchased. Can they be used on a foundry 3 based website?

Alloy can certainly be used with Foundry 3. I’ve talked about that here in this blog post:

No, Thunder and Potion are not going to work in Foundry 3. Thunder and Potion are add-ons that were based on Foundry 2’s code base. Instead of making more add-on packs for Foundry 3 I simply started rolling a bunch of those features from the add-on packs into the Foundry 3 tools during development. This means some of that functionality from Thunder and Potion are found in Foundry 3 already. I talked about this in this blog post from last week a little bit:

Essentially Foundry 3 is a completely new product from the ground up.

Do we still have the ability to download F2 in case we need to reinstall?

You can use the order lookup system at any time from the Foundry Documentation page. That said Foundry 3 does not replace Foundry 2, so unless you specifically, purposefully uninstall Foundry 2 you should not need to re-download it.

I did but I don’t see foundry on the list.

You may have used a different email address to purchase it than you’re using in the order lookup system. If you have a different email address or have used a different address in the past, give it a try in the lookup form. Like I said above: Foundry 3 does not replace Foundry 2, so unless you specifically, purposefully delete Foundry 2 you should not need to re-download it to re-install.

I could look it up for you, but just like you I’ll need to know what email address it was purchased with in order to lookup your order.