Hi everyone. I am looking for a stack that my users can utilize to download a PDF file. Some of the artists customers would prefer to download a PDF file and fill it out by hand as opposed to typing it in our website. So I need to get some type of stack or someone can download a PDF form and print it and mail it in. Can someone help me find a good downloader stack? I tried true download 2 from DooBox, but I got no luck with that.
@gmedlock Why did the True Download stack not work for you?
One approach is
- on Mac OS to right-click on the PDF, or folder of PDFs, that you want to download
- choose compress (this will make it a zip file/folder
- upload file to your server (I create a dedicated folder with a name like “downloads”)
- get the URL of the compressed file (most FTP apps will do this easily)
- within Foundry create a link, or a button and use the copied URL as your link address
- this will result in auto-downloading when user clicks on link or button
You can always try putting the zipped file/folder in RW resources and creating a link to that. It’s not an approach I use but it should work fine.
I’m guessing at all of this as the True Download stack you mentioned works fine. So I don’t know what step in the process caused a problem for you.
I used Download 2 in Foundry 2 and it worked fine. I just used with Foundry 3 and it doesn’t work.
Did you ever find a resolution?
……oh I think it needs to be a zip file!
@stevec On the True Download stack it states:
Works perfectly fine with Zip files. Does not work for me with PDFs (the counter goes up 1 indicating a download, but download does not actually happen). I think the PDF statement is either a typo or stack needs to updated. Don’t know which. At any rate, I’ve always used Zip files only so did not notice this PDF anomoly until now.
Point the stack at a zip file, and start keeping count.
So zip (compress) the PDF first, then all should work fine.
That worked. Thanks.
But another thing, when I bought this product, it said that you could download PDF files. As a matter of fact, on the settings, it gives me the option to use PDF files. It sounds to me like there’s a glitch in the code.