Alloy and Foundry - Blank display on blog

Hi there. I just picked up the Foundry and Alloy combo a couple of days ago.

Foundry is at version 3.0.2023.09.06 and Alloy is at v3.3.2

My main site is working fine (https://staging.fitmyride.cc), however the editor and blogging site do not appear to be working.

The setup is as follows:
Debian version 12
Apache 2
PHP 8.2

PHP is working fine as I can get to the first page which is also a php page.

On the editor site, following the tutorial, I have the following on the page:
Control Centre
Alloy
F3 SHIM
Container

Editor

On the Blog page, I have the following:
Alloy
F3 SHIM

Background

Header

Container

Blog Entries

The issue is whenever I publish the site, the editor and blog sections are blank. If I look at the generated php files they look ok to me.

I’m sure this is something on my end that is causing a problem, but I’m not sure what so I thought I’d reach out to the community here and hopefully the developer in case anyone has an idea as to how to get the alloy working on the site properly as I bought foundry and alloy for the blogging aspect.

I’m happy to provide the RW file if need be.

Hi David, I had once roughly the same case. In my case it had to do with “Pretty URLs”. I switched it to on in the Alloy Control Center and did the necessary changes in the htaccess file but something was not working and my pages stayed empty.

If you switched on “pretty-URL” then I simply would switch it to off and see if it then work. I think you also have to republish your page after switching to off.

Hope that helps.

Hi, thanks for giving me that idea to try. I tried that and republished but it hasn’t worked. The pretty-URL wasn’t toggled on, but I toggled, saved, untoggled, saved and republished just to be sure and still have the same outcome.

Very confused as to what I’m missing here.

I suspect you’ve got a PHP error on the page, likely due to either something server side or a misconfigured setting. Send me a copy of your PHP error log file, along with a copy of the index.php file within your blog and editor folders. adam at elixirgraphics dot com

Sent off to you just now. Thanks,

Quick question (I’m on phone and not at desk so I can’t look at the log until back in the office) but did you by chance delete the sample blog post Alloy generated for you in the Posts folder?

No, I haven’t deleted anything. This is what I have in the folder in /blogs:

bs-fonts
drag-and-drop-img-463.jpg
drag-and-drop-logo-33.png
drag-and-drop-logo-90.png
drag-and-drop-retina-logo-33.png
drag-and-drop-retina-logo-90.png
foundry-cc-edit-mode-icon.png
Parsedown.php
stacks.css
stacks_page_page1.js
drag-and-drop-img-15.jpg
drag-and-drop-logo-23.png
drag-and-drop-logo-43.png
drag-and-drop-retina-logo-23.png
drag-and-drop-retina-logo-43.png
filler-images
layout-examples
spyc.php
stacks_page_page1.css
truncate.php

Whats the name of the sample blog file that I’d be looking for?

in the /editor folder, I have the following:
alloy-icon.png
alloy-image-thumbnail-filler.jpg
animat-x-color.gif
bs-fonts
download_droplets.php
download_posts.php
editor-icon.png
font
Parsedown.php
saving.gif
stacks.css
stacks_in_9_login.php
stacks_page_page3.js
truncate.php
upload.php
alloy-image-filler.jpg
alloy-topper-filler.jpg
blog-icon.png
delete_post.php
download_embeds.php
droplet-icon.png
embed-icon.png
foundry-cc-edit-mode-icon.png
preset-backgrounds
spyc.php
stacks_in_9_clear-cache.php
stacks_page_page3.css
SVG
upload-easymde.php
URLify.php

The file would be in the posts folder, not the blog or editor folders.

It is not generating the posts folder.

Even if I export the entire site to my hard drive, there is no post folder.

In Alloy → General

Its set as “posts”

Perhaps your php install is not letting alloy create the folder then. Try switching to php 8.1 and giving it a go. Hard to troubleshoot when not in office. Sorry.

I’ll try dropping down the PHP version, however I think that when I export the site to my local computer, it would create the posts and image-uploads folders would it not?

If the answer is yes, then this isn’t a PHP issue so much as something to do with rapidweaver and or the Foundry 3 / Alloy modules.

If however, those folders are created “after” one visits the /editor/ and or /blog page then yes I could see that being server side issue.

Yes, they’re created via PHP after you visit those pages.

OK thanks. I had a feeling but thought I’d ask.

I’ve installed php8.1 and have it selected as the default at this point:

PHP 8.1.26 (cli) (built: Nov 24 2023 13:10:54) (NTS)
Copyright (c) The PHP Group
Zend Engine v4.1.26, Copyright (c) Zend Technologies
with Zend OPcache v8.1.26, Copyright (c), by Zend Technologies

Now when I visit it still have the same issue. Those folders are not being created no matter if I visit the /blog or the /editor urls.

Are there certain ownerships / permissions that are required on the folder structure? Currently I have it as ownership as myself and www-data. If I change it to any other owner (root) for example same issue. Group ownership also doesn’t seem to matter. The permissions on the root folder for the site are 755

I think the permissions need to be 775. I changed them on the root folder and now I get the editor page.

Yup, thats the issue. PHP 8.2 is good. I’ve switched back. It was the group permissions that the blog / editor needs to write on the group settings are 7, so the root level permissions on the web folder need to be 775.

I’m not totally sure I’m jazzed about opening up the group permissions more on a root web folder, but that seems to be the only way I can get the software to work as intended.

However, setting the root back to 755 after initial creation seems to work fine. So I think it’s good. I’ve been able to create a test post with an image and all works as it should so far as I can tell.

Thanks very much for all the help and pointers on this. Much appreciated!

1 Like

Glad you got it sorted. :+1: