Alloy - only general picture/blog name when social media sharing

Hello,
I’ve read through some other posts about Alloy and sharing on social media, but couldn’t find the same issue. Please excuse me if I missed it.

When I share one of my blog posts on Facebook it shows my logo as the image versus the topper image, and the name of my blog versus the title of the blog post. When I click the link it does take me back to the individual blog post, but I think someone would be much more interested in clicking if the topper image and title was there.

I have the social tags checked in the control center, but checked off in the overall page meta tags (that’s just for the blog page though, right? Not the whole site?). I haven’t added the social media IDs. Does that make a difference for this?

The blog in question is here Violin Geek Blog - Insight and Inspiration since 2007

And I should note that Twitter doesn’t even generate a little preview at all, just shows the url, but I hate Twitter generally so…

Thanks!

Are you talking about the blog page itself or one of the blog posts?

I checked the top post (Student Question: Is it better to sit or stand when practicing?) with Facebook’s OpenGraph meta tag tool and it looks fine. It appears to find the correct image and the correct title of the post.

Yes, it’s for individual posts. This debugger shows what I’d like it to look like, but when I’m actually on Facebook it just looks like this:

If I click on it it thankfully does go to the individual post, but who wants to click that! Maybe I’ll try some other browsers. I’m using FireFox.

Try an incognito or private page to rule out a cached version of this content.

1 Like

This is what I see when adding a blog post of yours in Facebook:

1 Like

I tried it in a private Firefox browser as well as on Chrome and it’s still showing the same issue. Is it only me maybe?

It’s definitely confusing. All Alloy can do is set the proper OpenGraph meta tags. It’s up to social media sites to pull the information correctly. Facebook’s own OpenGraph debugging tool shows that your blog post is providing the correct image and title.

I’d keep an eye on things and with future posts. If you are very concerned, you’d have to contact Facebook and ask them why the debugging tool is showing things correctly and not when you actually post on a link on Facebook.

1 Like

Ok, so now suddenly it’s working correctly. Very strange. Hopefully it keeps working!

1 Like