Content taking ages to load. Why?

Hi,
I’ve built the following website with Foundry: https://www.ydoconsulting.com
However, the sections of content placed under the “Ils m’ont fait confiance” section takes ages to load, and I can’t find out why.
Could you please let me know your thoughts?
With many thanks in advance.
Kind regards,
Yann

Hi @Yann , In Chrome, your site loads nicely on my slow internet (zone blanche dans le VAR). No issues there, everything works very smooth and even rather fast.
In Safari however it loads dead slow indeed. Lately I run into more and more problems with Safari.
Firefox is slower as well. Especially your background images takes up some time.

Hans

It might be because of some webp pictures you use. Just for a test - replace them with .jpg and see if the speed is better…

2 Likes

Hi @Panans,
Thank you for your swift answer!
Indeed, Safari takes ages to load the website.
As @Fuellemann highlighted it, it seems to be linked to my use of webp pictures (thanks @Fuellemann !)
I’m now trying to identify a stack allowing me to load webp pictures on Chrome and jpg/png on Safari and Firefox.
Cheers,
Yann

Hi @Yann , good thinking of @Fuellemann. I considered using webp images but abandoned the idea after finding out the downsides. I don’t know how webp behaves on mobile, you might take a look at that as well.

Anyway, for now I stick to jpg and if necessary to png.

Good luck,

Hans

2 Likes

Hi Yann, if you test your site using GT Metrix - it will be possible to isolate exactly what is causing the delay. I’ll drop a link below. GT Metrix also gives recommendations on what to do to resolve any issues:

You could also try editing the HTaccess file, + using a content delivery network. I use Cloudflare - i know not everyone likes it - but its free and it does speed up a site.

Your largest contentful paint on this site is currently 1.2 seconds - which is fairly good - maybe you’ve already resolved this.
best of luck, James

Hi @James249,
Thank you so much for sharing your thoughts. I’ll definitely have a look at Cloudflare.
Regarding GTmetrix, my main issue isn’t the “Largest Contentful Paint” load-time, but the " Total Blocking Time" (of five seconds!).
I’ll take time to convert my webp images in jpg/png and see if it does speedup the website.
Cheers,
Yann

1 Like

Hi Yann - i think i can see what it is. If you look in the GT metrix report under ‘structure’ - theres some javascript /URLS there, that are slowing things down - some kind of facebook events plugin and something called ‘clarity’ not sure what that is and I don’t much about JS - but i think if you take them out you can shave off the extra 5 seconds in no time. Screen grab below. (the site looks great though!) good luck - J

Hi @James249,
Thank you so much for your help!
Clarity is Microsoft’s heatmaps and session recordings tool. I can delete its script, however I see from your screenshot that total CPU time for Clarity is only 128ms.
Facebook total CPU time, however, is 6.3s ! I think this probably is the source of the issue…
But, the only Facebook script I’m using is Facebook’s pixel. I tried to move it from the header to just before the closing body tag (</body>) but that doesn’t seem to have changed much.
I’ll keep investigating, and I’m glad you like the site :slight_smile:
Thanks again for your help :+1:

1 Like

@Yann , still, your site loads lightning fast in Chrome which supports webp and loads frustratingly slow in Safari and Firefox. I think your main issue is that Chrome is the only browser that supports webp. For me the reason lies in the use of webp.

Cheers and good luck with your nice website

Hans

Hi @Panans,
Thank you for your message. I’ll definitely convert my webp images in jpp/png, then.
Cheers,
Yann

Hi Yann, no worries - if it was me i’d trying taking the FB pixel out altogether. Refresh and re-test on GTmetrix- see what result you get. If thats the offending code then praps consider taking it out . Not sure if the service they’re offering is worth the slow load time. best of luck , J

1 Like

This would be my suggestion too.

Hi @Panans, @James249 and @elixirgraphics,
I’ve converted every webp image in jpg, but it doesn’t seem to resolve the issue : the sections of content placed under the “Ils m’ont fait confiance” section continue to take ages to load.
I’ll try to remove Clarity script and Facebook pixel and let you know.
Cheers,
Yann

1 Like

Chrome works just fine:

Safari loads your site, but a bit slower. Some images (logo) are missing here (webp ?)

Hi @Panans, @James249 and @elixirgraphics,
I’ve removed Clarity script and Facebook pixel and republished the website.
The website gets a better GTmetrix score, however the issue is persisting : the sections of content placed under the “Ils m’ont fait confiance” section continue to take ages to load :confused:

Hi @Panans,
I missed this one indeed, thanks for spotting this!
It’s updated.
Cheers,
Yann