Do I need a Database for Alloy

Ok so im getting a lot of warnings/notices and also having issues with actually doing anything in the editor.

Someone brought up that I may be having issues with a database on reddit. but I can’t find anything information in the documentation on server setup for alloy.

If I need to install a database does anyone know how I go about that?

Im running Monterey with a fresh install of PHP 7.4 and Apache 2

These are the the errors Im getting mostly (its a long list)

Notice : Undefined variable: currentPage in /Library/Webserver/Documents/New/Editor/index.php on line 233

Notice : Undefined index: category in /Library/Webserver/Documents/New/Editor/index.php on line 336

Notice : Undefined index: tags in /Library/Webserver/Documents/New/Editor/index.php on line 337

Notice : Undefined index: small-label in /Library/Webserver/Documents/New/Editor/index.php on line 338

Notice : Undefined index: summary in /Library/Webserver/Documents/New/Editor/index.php on line 343

Notice : Undefined index: category in /Library/Webserver/Documents/New/Editor/index.php on line 357

Notice : Undefined index: category in /Library/Webserver/Documents/New/Editor/index.php on line 359

Notice : file_get_contents(): read of 8192 bytes failed with errno=21 Is a directory in /Library/Webserver/Documents/New/Editor/index.php on line 297

Notice : Undefined offset: 1 in /Library/Webserver/Documents/New/Editor/index.php on line 306

Notice : Undefined offset: 2 in /Library/Webserver/Documents/New/Editor/index.php on line 307

Notice : Undefined offset: 2 in /Library/Webserver/Documents/New/Editor/index.php on line 308

Notice : Undefined offset: 1 in /Library/Webserver/Documents/New/Editor/index.php on line 323

Notice : Undefined index: draft in /Library/Webserver/Documents/New/Editor/index.php on line 327

Notice : Undefined index: title in /Library/Webserver/Documents/New/Editor/index.php on line 331

Notice : Undefined index: author in /Library/Webserver/Documents/New/Editor/index.php on line 335

Notice : Undefined index: category in /Library/Webserver/Documents/New/Editor/index.php on line 336

Notice : Undefined index: tags in /Library/Webserver/Documents/New/Editor/index.php on line 337

Notice : Undefined index: small-label in /Library/Webserver/Documents/New/Editor/index.php on line 338

Notice : Undefined index: topper in /Library/Webserver/Documents/New/Editor/index.php on line 341

Notice : Undefined index: topperalt in /Library/Webserver/Documents/New/Editor/index.php on line 342

Notice : Undefined index: summary in /Library/Webserver/Documents/New/Editor/index.php on line 343

Notice : Undefined index: draft in /Library/Webserver/Documents/New/Editor/index.php on line 345

Notice : Undefined index: author in /Library/Webserver/Documents/New/Editor/index.php on line 350

Notice : Undefined index: author in /Library/Webserver/Documents/New/Editor/index.php on line 352

Notice : Undefined index: category in /Library/Webserver/Documents/New/Editor/index.php on line 357

Notice : Undefined index: category in /Library/Webserver/Documents/New/Editor/index.php on line 359

Notice : Undefined offset: 1 in /Library/Webserver/Documents/New/Editor/index.php on line 306

Notice : Undefined offset: 2 in /Library/Webserver/Documents/New/Editor/index.php on line 307

Notice : Undefined offset: 2 in /Library/Webserver/Documents/New/Editor/index.php on line 308

Notice : Undefined offset: 1 in /Library/Webserver/Documents/New/Editor/index.php on line 323

Notice : Undefined index: draft in /Library/Webserver/Documents/New/Editor/index.php on line 327

Notice : Undefined index: title in /Library/Webserver/Documents/New/Editor/index.php on line 331

Notice : Undefined index: author in /Library/Webserver/Documents/New/Editor/index.php on line 335

Notice : Undefined index: topper in /Library/Webserver/Documents/New/Editor/index.php on line 341

Notice : Undefined index: topperalt in /Library/Webserver/Documents/New/Editor/index.php on line 342

Notice : Undefined index: draft in /Library/Webserver/Documents/New/Editor/index.php on line 345

Notice : Undefined index: author in /Library/Webserver/Documents/New/Editor/index.php on line 350

Notice : Undefined index: author in /Library/Webserver/Documents/New/Editor/index.php on line 352

Notice : Undefined variable: urlID in /Library/Webserver/Documents/New/Editor/index.php on line 446

Notice : Undefined variable: urlID in /Library/Webserver/Documents/New/Editor/index.php on line 452

Notice : Undefined variable: urlID in /Library/Webserver/Documents/New/Editor/index.php on line 485

These are notices, not errors. You can turn off Notice / Error reporting in your PHP configuration to stop these from showing in your log file. :+1:

As for needing a database – No, Alloy does not use a database for anything whatsoever. Not sure what Reddit group you’re reading, but that is incorrect. Alloy is a flat-file system and simply reads and writes markdown based files using standard Markdown with a YAML front matter section.

Ok Great. Well that makes that part easy. I did that Earlier and made all of those go away.

but I do still have a problem with actually working in the editor.

There is like 3 template blogs in there and when I try and delete them it says they are deleting but when the popup goes away they dont delete.

also when creating a new blog as soon as I save and go back in to edit it its not there anymore

I also have the problem that if I go to the blog page itself and click read more on any of the posts it just reloads the page

Without knowing how you’ve set things up (as I don’t have a copy of your project file in-hand) and without being about to see the live URL (no URL provided) I can’t offer any real help. If you will provide me one or both of these I can assist a bit further. Otherwise it is just going to be a guess since I can’t troubleshoot code through just a description.

Additionally I would suggest walking through the Quick Start videos step by step and recreating what you see to ensure you’ve set things up properly.

1 Like

I removed this because its not relevant to anyone else.

I have a file in my dropbox but I dont have a way to send you the link.

dont really want to post it for the world

Send the download link in a Direct Message then. Click my avatar and then click the Message button.

First thing I see in your project file is you’ve not provided a URL in your publishing settings. That grey text is a placeholder. It is best to type out the publishing URL here. Make sure it is correct for where you’re publishing to and that it also matches the URL in the RW General Settings.

Next thing – you’ve made your Blog page folder and your Posts folder have the same location. You’ve named your Posts folder Blog. Generally unless you have a very specific reason, you should just leave the Posts folder as posts. Essentially you’re pointing the Editor to your Blog page’s folder instead of a separate posts folder and it thinks the files and folders in there are blog posts, when they’re not.

When you update the posts folder in the Alloy Control Center, be sure you do it on both the blog and editor pages.

Awesome the posts folder was the problem.

Thanks very much

This topic was automatically closed 24 hours after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.