ElixirGraphics Website is Down Today

Trying not sound like a worn out record but the website has been down again since about 10:30 GMT this morning.

I am hanging on in there but it is slowing down my development when I can’t access the documentation. :wink:

Adam explained what was going on in one of your other threads. Stuff like this happens all the time (speaking as someone who’s been in IT since the 80s).

All we can do is be patient. He’s doing everything he can, as is his Hosting provider.

As good as the documentation is, Trial and Error is a great way to learn Foundry, in the meantime :+1:

1 Like

I also realise things like this happen
(Speaking as someone who has been in IT since the 70s) :wink:

Hopefully this ongoing two hour plus outage is due to work being carried out to resolve the issue.

I do use trial and error but the quality of the documentation was one of the factors to go with Foundry as opposed to alternate frameworks.

If the documentation was available to use offline, it would be helpful but I guess given that hopefully these outages will be few and far between it is probably not worth the effort to create that.

Given these ongoing issues, It might be useful to have an announcement posting giving the current state of play, what the issues are and when a resolution can be expected. :slight_smile:

Yes, the Foundry documentation and support is the best out there by far (I’ve tried them all), and I know Adam does make the effort to update it from time to time, which would make an offline version tricky, as he’d never know if someone was working off an obsolete version.

What I can assure you is that this is the first time in several years that there’s been an issue like this, to my knowledge.

Given that it’s a hardware problem at a 3rd party hosting provider, it would be asking for trouble to set expectations. Adam can only pass on the information that Dreamhost give him, and hardware issues / server migrations inevitably end up taking longer to resolve than IT Techies estimate.

If Adam said it was going to take two hours, and it ended up taking three, can you imagine how many forum threads we’d have to wade through then…!

2 Likes

Good news; the site is back up :+1:

Morning @logrunner

I agree completely with what @jacksona has said above.

As for the state of things – when I spoke to Dreamhost last they had decided a migration might not be the proper course. It seemed to be a problem with RAM. They did some adjustments they thought would fix it. A problem still seems to be present, so I’m contacting them again.

I do not own or operate the server, and it is not my field of expertise. I am in contact with them and I put this in their hands as they are the experts, not I. That said I am not going to convey every conversation I have with my outside vendors here. I let you know that the problem is being looked into, and I’ll keep working with my host to figure out what the problem with my VPS is until it gets resolved.

I don’t mind reports of down time. If you want to shoot me a DM or email or something that is fine. I don’t see a need for a forum post though any time you experience an outage during this time of trying to get the problem solved.

If it would be easier for you to go another route and use a different solution like Foundation or Source and would like a refund, let me know and I can do that for you.

That said, I have reached out to Dreamhost and I am awaiting their response in our ongoing effort to get this cleared up.

2 Likes

Hi @elixirgraphics,

Thanks for the update.

My post was trying to be helpful and let you know :slight_smile:

I hope you haven’t taken my postings the wrong way, which I see you might have done, because I am fully committed to using Foundry and I apologise if I gave the impression that I wasn’t, it wasn’t my intent.

Good luck with the problem resolution. :+1:

So it looks like the RAM issues are being caused by a huge influx of bots hitting the site and overwhelming the VPS. I’m adding a bunch of blocks right now. Essentially this seems to be external to the site and host.

4 Likes

This topic was automatically closed 24 hours after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.