Foundry 3 and Alloy

Hi,

I just downloaded both of these products. I want to set up a stand alone blog page (rest of the website to come at a later date). My question is: I need to learn how to do this since things are different in F2 and F3. In looking at the ALLOY tutorial, it looks like it is for F2 rather than F3. Is there a tutorial forAlloy 3?

Any hints on how to proceed would be appreciated.

Thank you! Bill

Alloy was released when Foundry 2 was available, so all the documentation will show or refer to it. It works just fine with Foundry 3, but you do need to add the Alloy F3 shim to the pages that have Alloy stacks on them. The shim allows the F3 style settings to flow into your Alloy content. Aside form that, it is setup and works the same with either version.

1 Like

DLH,

THANK YOU.
I am really struggling with setting up a blog. I am using F3, Alloy 3, Stacks 5 on a Mac Mini M1 running OS 13.2. I have watched the tutorials but cannot always match things like the tutorial says to use a Banner stack but I could not find one in F3. Plus I could not get any images to show when published.

I must be missing something basic but I need a little help.

Here is what I have so far – Blog

Thank you – heading to bed after a long day!

Bill

If you’ve just started to use Foundry and Alloy, then I can see how it might be overwhelming. You’re not going to be able to just follow the Alloy tutorial exactly, because it shows you how to set it up in Foundry 2.

My suggestion is to take things one step at a time. First concentrate on getting the basics of your page setup with Foundry 3. There are a lot of new videos on the Foundry Getting Started page on how to do this, especially the three-part series “Building a Site Tutorial”.

You’ll want the basic page design setup before you start adding Alloy. Things like picking your fonts and color scheme, laying out your header and footer. With those basics done, you can then add Alloy and your blog content in between.

Foundry 3 does not have a dedicated Banner stack. It’s more modular and you can build your banner section however you want. It has move flexibility than Foundry 2. Because of this, I suggest starting with the basics of Foundry 3 first.

2 Likes

DLH,
Much better. I watched a couple of videos by Ryan and tried what he discussed and my test blog is looking much better. I will watch more videos, but the nagging question I have right now is in the blog editor when I try to add an image, the coding gets placed but when I publish the post, the image is not there. I have tried different endings but no luck.

Any idead? And thank you for your help!

Bill

Are your settings for your site URL in both your RW General settings and your Publishing settings correct? That’s the usual culprit.

Adam,

I think I have those correct. I will attach a picture of the editor. When I drag and drop an image, it goes where I have selected but it does not show up when I publish the post. When I drag an mage to the Topper space in the editor, a new page appears and the picture is centered there. Nothing happens at that point. Below is the picture of the editor:

Here is a picture of the Publishing area:

thank you for your help

The topper image is not drag and drop. Click the button below it to add a topper image. . This is shown in the Editor tutorial video if I remember correctly.

ADAM,

Thank you for that. So I did that and got an empty bordered area with small icon with a question mark. That is some progress.

So I am watching the tutorials again for the answer.

Bill

My advice is to always replicate the tutorial video step by step for your first go. Get the basics down then later customize.

Adam,

I just purchased the upgrades to F3 and Alloy3 but some of the tutorials are for F2. For example, F2 talks about using a Banner but F3 does not have a banner.

I love to learn so where can I find the F3 tutorials?

Thank you! and I apologize for being a pain in the back side! I guess I am more of a “newby” than I thought!

Bill

@DLH already gave you the same advice above that I would give.

He even linked you to the Foundry 3 tutorials as well. Scroll back up and read his post.

Adam,

I will watch the tutorials again tomorrow and set up a blog site from scratch.

Thank you again.

Bill