Question about Zoom with Grid

Hi all:

I think I’m misunderstanding something about the interaction of Grid and Zoom, and I would appreciate any clarification.

Lets say I have a grid that is 3x2 on the desktop. If I place a Zoom within each of the grid elements, the Zoom logo shows as constrained by the Grid, which is what I thought would happen. It looks like this in live preview:

47%20PM

However, I thought that if I placed an image in a Zoom in this context, it would scale down because it would be constrained by the Zoom which is constrained by the Grid box. Does this make sense?

What happens, though, is that any image that is rectangular expands the Zoom and the Grid box. It looks like this in live preview:

54%20PM

Is there something I’m doing wrong here, or is this just the way it works? Any help would be appreciated.

Doug

To answer my own question: this is the way it’s supposed to work. Should’ve watched the tutorial before posting the question. :grimacing:

Glad you got it sorted out. Sorry for not replying sooner as we were on a plane.

No problem. It reminded me that I should actually read the docs and watch the tutorials.

A few further questions, though: if I’m not mis-hearing, you talk about a “masonry-style” layout that does constrain it’s content. Am I hearing you correctly? If so, is this kind of layout possible in Foundry?

Thanks.

A masonry layout does not constrain it’s content. It creates a nice looking layout comprised of various sized content (usually images). Here’s a site that gives you an overview of masonry layouts.

A masonry layout would work very well with images like the ones you posted above.

Is there a reason why you want to use images that are different sizes (aspect ratios to be more precise) and then force them to the same size areas? To do that either the image would need to be distorted (stretched in one dimension or the other) or be cropped. Distorted images won’t look good, and I doubt automatic cropping would ideally crop the images. They may cutoff an important part of an image.

If we better understand what you’re trying to accomplish, we may be able to offer better advice.

3 Likes

Thanks, @DLH. What I’m attempting to do is almost exactly what is shown at the site PERSONAL PROJECTS — ERIK JOHANSSON. The article was very helpful, and now I think I have a clear path to what I want to do.

Also, I don’t necessarily want the platform to scale the images. I’ve realized that’s kind of unpredictable. :roll_eyes:

Thanks again!