Scripting Issue

New website: neilkosterman.com on Hostgator. Went from a 404 error to a 403 error and then contacted HG. They corrected an element in path, which brought up three short lines of text, as you will see if you open my URL. Couldn’t get past that. Their response: “That seems like a scripting issue.
Looks like the URLs used in the index.html scripts are broken. You will have to contact a Web developer to check on this.”

How might I fix this within RW/ Foundry?

Could be any number of things - unlikely that any of them are Foundry-related, though.

As with all these things, if it worked, but suddenly it doesn’t, you need to identify what changed.

I’m assuming you haven’t changed any folder permissions on your server.

Check your publishing settings are all correct.

Check your .htaccess file for anything misplaced or malformed (you can download .htaccess and edit it on the publishing settings screen).

Republish all files.

Other than that, there are many resources via Google which will give you other pointers.

Only change one thing at a time, to make sure you catch the real culprit.

1 Like

I suspect that this option that @jacksona recommends might be the solution. I’d at a minimum start there.

1 Like

Thanks, again, for your timely response. I’ve tested using RW’s button and all is well there.

I opened my .htaccess file and there was nothing there. I know correlation does not mean cause and effect, however, I never had this problem before F3(?). I now seem to have a problem with it every time I seek to upload a new website.

Since I do not really know anything about this type of file, I will seek to learn from online searches. Thanks for this guidance.

nk

Feel free to share your project file with us here. I’d be happy to publish it as a test to my server.

Create a ZIP file containing your project file. This is the file you open in RapidWeaver to edit your site. After creating the ZIP file, upload it using a service like Dropbox, WeTransfer, Droplr, or a similar service to create download link for us. Paste that download link in your reply.

Dropbox link per your offer…

Thanks.

Published your project here, changing nothing whatsoever: Site Styles

Seems to display fine.

That said your filenames for some of your resources are named oddly and are not websafe file names:

Again, I think my server is handling this well, but I can’t speak for yours. You can’t just throw files randomly at your site. You have to take care with how you name things, the format of the images, etc, and much more.

Any file, whether an image or a document needs NO spaces in filenames and/or NO special characters - recipe for disaster otherwise!

1 Like

Good info. I’ll rename those. I was just using the names that I have assigned to them for my filing system. I get what you are saying, though, so I will fix.

You think if I simplify names and vacuum out the spaces and difficult characters that my site should load?

I should point out that I think the problem names are all on my second page, which I just added over the last couple of days. I do believe I was having either a 403 or 404 error bf I ever added the second page, but we’ll see what happens, after I clean things up. I will also review names related to my first page as well.

Thanks for your rapid turnaround and sound advice. I’ve started studying tutorials on .htaccess, and I doubt becoming even mildly proficient would have found these major glitches that you have provided. :+1:

1 Like

Your second page is found here: Research | SAGE Rebreather™

It too seems to be displaying fine for me.

It can’t hurt. And you need to do so. That said I don’t believe your problems are caused by Foundry.

“I don’t believe your problems are caused by Foundry.” Good to know; builds my confidence in it.

Hi Adam

I went through my RW resources and simplified and cleaned up the files (all of them:-).

Still not working, but since it works on your server, it suggests that problem lies with/on Hostgator. Before going back to them, did you look at my .htaccess to see if it looks OK? If not, I’ll do the research to try to learn what I need to know about those files. If I “fix” that and it still doesn’t work, then I will have to go back to HG.

Thanks for helping me improve my RW/ F3 skills as an ongoing process. I have several other sites I want to upgrade to F3, as soon as I get this one working right.

I did not. I cannot offer assistance with hosting or your server. That lies outside of the arena of support for my products.

You almost certainly don’t want all your PDFs in resources - believe it or not, this can cause seemingly unrelated issues.

Better to FTP them to your server, and link to them directly. Bonus: your RW project file will shrink, and you won’t be republishing those documents every time you ‘Republish all files’.

If you paste the text of your .htaccess file here (select it all and then hit the code button, for clarity):

Hopefully someone will be able to take a look :+1:

1 Like

Here’s the .ataccess code you encouraged. Hopefully, someone will review and respond. Thanks.

# php -- BEGIN cPanel-generated handler, do not edit
# Set the “ea-php73” package as the default “PHP” programming language.
<IfModule mime_module>
  AddHandler application/x-httpd-ea-php73___lsphp .php .php7 .phtml
</IfModule>
# php -- END cPanel-generated handler, do not edit

So, you are at least the second person to advise me, “Better to FTP them to your server, and link to them directly.” I have never been able to figure out what you and the others mean, when you reference “my server.” The only storage I access routinely is my desktop computer or my iCloud.com account. RU referencing one of those and, if so, which one? Thanks.

He is referring to the server where you’re publishing your site.

1 Like

That’s just your server automatically adding lines which set your PHP version. Don’t mess with those.

As @elixirgraphics says: The server you’re publishing your site to.

Use an FTP app, login, create a folder under your site’s root folder, and upload the files. You can then link to them in your project, instead of your resources.

Most FTP packages will allow you to right-click to copy the file’s URL. Make sure when pasting the link into RW that it starts with http://, or https:// if your site uses SSL. You don’t want it starting with ftp://

1 Like

:+1: Thanks for this assessment result.