Sidekick and 'default url parameter' stack

First of all, thanks a lot Adam for your latest stack, which again is a ingenious piece of work :slight_smile:

I want to use sidekick’s URL parameter functionality to generate a multilingual web page.
However I am missing a possibility to define a ‘default’ content when no parameter is passed at all.
I know I could use .htaccess rewrite rules, but I would prefer to handle this within sidekick/RapidWeaver

My current implementation:
1st sidekick URL parameter stack: URL parameter = lang, value = de, no Fallback Content
2nd sidekick URL parameter stack: URL parameter = lang, value = en, no Fallback Content

Assumption:
“en” should be the default language when no parameter is passed.

Problem:
When no parameter is passed, nothing will be displayed which is kind of expected with the config above.
However, when using Fallback Content for one of the URL parameter stacks gives double content (the content of the selected language and the content of the fallback).

Possible Solution:
Can sidekick provide a ‘default URL parameter’ stack which is used when no parameter is passed?

Thanks
Thomas

Hi there @TomS2 and thanks for the kind words. Sidekick is not designed for this purpose unfortunately. There are other tools out there that specifically act as a multi-language tool.

With the way Sidekick is designed each URL parameter is compartmentalized. They cannot cross check one another. Like I said this is not what Sidekick is designed for, so you’d be better off using a tool specifically targeted at multi-language support.

Hi @elixirgraphics, thanks for your quick reply.
That’s what I thought. If it not possible to check ‘no parameter passed’ I’ll be fine with it.
The multi-languages functionality was the one use case which came to my mind first… However, I can imagine that there might be other use cases demanding the same in the future :wink:

Thanks and keep up your extraordinary work
Thomas