The site I learned Foundry with when looking for a new web design solution

The site I learned Foundry with when looking for a new web design solution

This was my first site that I made with Foundry. It was a great solution to work as a replacement for my previous attempts of dealing with Squarespace and WordPress. I wasn’t happy with those solutions at all. Months before starting it I was weighing the possibility of obtaining a year long web design certificate at the design school I was attending.

With in person classes shutting down in 2020 I decided to go with learning RapidWeaver at home. I bumbled my first attempt on this not realizing I wouldn’t be able to mix RW stacks with Foundry stacks and had to throw away the whole site and rewrite the whole thing. This is why I can understand RW trying to center their components around one framework, as good as these tools are it is a bit confusing the way in which they do not totally work together in a mix and match fashion.

I hadn’t planned on adding this site to the showcase until I reworked its overly simplistic placeholder homepage. I have plans on hiring a photographer / videographer to shoot a collage of yearbooks from the period of time the site is based around that I found on eBay (you can see a quick and dirty version of what I was going for at the top of the blog page.)

While the homepage is a bit sad at the moment there are a few pages on this beginner site that I think still hold up. Its greatest value to me was to build a basic understanding of the program so that I could then design two much more advanced sites right after this.

Here is what I think are the top pages:

According to Google Analytics this page on monkey movies is the most popular. I used media group stack to run the African tribal graphics down the side of the text.

The masking feature at the bottom half of the page I though was incredible way to divide the different sections up! What a fun stack.

The ability to add sidebars next to the video-clips makes this SO much more useful then just basic videos links on their own.

Also I was very excited to add the detailed menus to each page! What a great advancement over basic list menus if you need to give a breakdown of a particular section on a site. Anyways I mostly added this showcase so that I could say how happy I was to find a solution like Foundry back when the other tools really were not working at all.

2 Likes