Alloy - Internal Server Error (delete function)

Brand new at Alloy. I’ve created a new site at a subdomain using one of the sample Foundry sites. Everything is working fine with the exception that I cannot delete posts, droplets etc.

It gives me an Internal Server Error, and I’ve searched the forum and it seems to be a similar situation as this one, but the host (also Dreamhost) claims it is not the server setup in this case and repeatedly tells me it is the content itself.

This is the gist of the conversation I had with Dreamhost:

Yesid

Yes, the error logs are recording php warnings:

mod_fcgid: stderr: PHP Warning: Undefined variable $urlSearch in /home/rhettjay/golf.learnbiology.org/index.php on line 1527

The error log is mentioning the check the line 1527 of the file index.php

Thanks for asking, the issue is not related to the website hosting but the actual PHP code on the website files}

This is why this needs to be reviewed by a website developer to get a solution

(rm)

Are you arriving to this conclusion from the PHP error logs?

48Qbbx2RDUhgQbzIgUlRhYhlNYdCjmAn-concierge.png

Yesid

Yes, the error logs are recording php warnings:

mod_fcgid: stderr: PHP Warning: Undefined variable $urlSearch in /home/rhettjay/golf.learnbiology.org/index.php on line 1527

The error log is mentioning the check the line 1527 of the file index.php

I attached the PHP error log, and I can provide the file, of course, if that would help.

error.log.zip (11.4 KB)

Rapidweaver 8.9.4
Stacks 5.1.2
Foundry 3 with the Shim added
Dreamhost PHP 8.1

I am not sure but I think you cannot use Alloy on subdomains. Can you use Alloy for a test on a non-subdomain?

I started out using it on an existing full domain while I waited for the subdomain to setup. Same issue.

So we have to see if Adam can have a look. He is away from the office for some time, so please be patient.

Where is your Editor located? Is its folder nested within another folder or a top level folder within your site’s hierarchy?

I am going to need you to share some files with me in order to assist in sorting out your problem.

Make a ZIP file for me that includes the following

• Your Project file. This is the file you open in RapidWeaver to edit your site.
  • A copy of the site from your server as-is. Download the site and place it’s contents into a folder for me. This will include all of the files that were published to the site, as well as things Alloy creates like the Post folder, etx.

After creating the ZIP file, upload it using a service like Dropbox, WeTransfer, Droplr, or a similar service to create download link for us. Paste that download link in an email to me at adam at elixirgraphics dot com.

I’m currently away from the office for several days, but will do my best to look at this when I get it.

Thanks for looking into this. The editor is at: subdomain/editor/

I’m emailing you the things you asked for. I saw your out of town message, so I understand about timing. I had been wanting to play with Alloy for a long time, and just recently pulled the trigger. I’m not in a huge rush - enjoy whatever it is you’re doing.

1 Like

Adam helped me via email, so if anyone else with this same problem sees this post…

The solution was to disable mod_security in the website settings of Dreamhost. They (Dreamhost) call this a ‘Web Application Firewall’ and it is turned on by default. Disabling it is easily done within the website control panel and the selected domain.

Also as a side note, if you delete the default blog post and there are no other blog posts, droplets or embeds you can get a blank page for the editor. Meaning there is no longer a way to interact with the editor. Make sure you have at least one post in the editor, at least as a draft.

4 Likes

This topic was automatically closed 24 hours after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.

Glad we got that sorted for you. It is odd that it affects some users and not others. I think it has to do with their VPS vs non-VPS setups and the mod_security feature. That said, glad you’re all back to normal. :+1::+1:

1 Like