Replace index.html with index.php

I had a flag popup telling me that I had two index files and recommending I remove one. Unfortunately I removed index.php before I read the excellent guidance advising what caused my initial problem, i.e., I added a Form for Contact. Too late, I removed the index.php, when I should have removed the index.html. Soooo, how do I correct my error? i.e., get the proper index.php in place and remove the index.html?

Follow point 2 here, and then republish the page.

1 Like

The good news is that I found and read your guidance independently. The bad news is that I didnā€™t find it until AFTER I had already deleted the .php file, when I should have deleted the .html file. So, now I have the wrong index. Iā€™m not seeing where your guidance explains how I replace the .html file with a proper .php file? Thanks.

Re-read this post fully.

1 Like
  1. Go and delete the index.HTML file.
  2. Republish your page.
1 Like

Hi Adam. Thanks for sticking with me on this. I have done all of your suggestions to now, however, last thing I did was delete the index.html file and then republish after I had replaced my Contact page with a total new one, hoping that might help get things organized. Still no go. Now my hosting site has no index file. I had avoided deleting it, until you specifically said I should bc I interpreted your guidance to say I shouldnā€™t do that. I stand corrected, but now my site is more messed up than before. While my site wasnā€™t working properly, when I started this current effort, my immediate objective was to add a Contact page, which Iā€™ve now done (2x), but now site totally incapacitated.

One thing Iā€™ve found that may be causing me grief is on my Publishing Page, where Iā€™m showing my website <DeltaChase.com>, but I may be missing the fact that it is a subdomain to my main domain: TBI-Innovations.com.

I recall in the past that I could attach something here, but I no longer see that. I have a screenshot of that Publishing Page that I thought I would send, but I no longer see that capability. Thanks, again, of sticking with me.

Did you delete the index.php file from the root of your site, or the contact folder? (Whatever youā€™ve called it). It sounds like youā€™ve deleted from the root, rather than the folder for the page with the form.

Assuming your publishing settings are OK (and Iā€™m guessing thatā€™s how the index.php got there in the first place), try to Republish All Files

Iā€™d then check each and every folder for that site, and where you have BOTH .html AND .php index files, delete just the .html.

1 Like

Additionallyā€¦

Obviously, I have no idea how your RW site is structured, but you should also check you havenā€™t fallen foul of the ā€˜gotchasā€™ in points 3 and 4 in my pinned post, referenced aboveā€¦

1 Like

Iā€™m happy to report that with a bit of help from the support team at Chillidog, Iā€™ve corrected my structural problems, which now allows my site to show up properly. I have two problems Iā€™m hoping you can provide necessary guidanceā€¦

1. I added a new page for Contact. It works from Home but not from the other pages in the NavBar. Seems like Iā€™m missing something simple. Your thoughts?

2. When I upload the site to my Chilldog server and then click on Visit, I go to NeilKosterman.com instead of DeltaChase.com. For background I prototyped this site in my neilkosterman.com URL, before uploading to its proper URL.

Thanks for any insight or guidance you may have for me.

1. Is your NavBar in a Partial? (That way one update changes it on each page that it appears). Could be your link is ā€œrelativeā€ rather than ā€œabsoluteā€, although you should be using RWā€™s page navigation dropdown in the Link dialog. TBH, it could be any number of things, and without someone looking at your project file, itā€™s impossible to be 100% certain what it is.

(I should add at this point that I donā€™t load up other peopleā€™s project files, so someone else would need to take a look).

1. You need to make sure your site is correctly set up both in your Publishing Settings AND in Settings, General in the left-hand pane:

CleanShot 2024-02-17 at 12.21.13@2x

The first one tells RW how to publish your project, the second one tells it where to Visit, once published - I suspect thatā€™s where youā€™ve still got neilkosterman.com referenced.

I remember reading about ā€œPartials,ā€ when I started, but Iā€™ve not used it. Iā€™ll re-review to see if applicable. Thanks for this guidance.

I had not changing the Settings, General. I have now, and you were spot on. Thanks, again, for great guidance.

Youā€™re definitely going to want a Partial for the NavBar, otherwise youā€™ll need to configure it for each page of your site.

Partials are also a great way to make sure your site style is consistent across pages, too.

Itā€™ll save you a ton of time.

So, as indicated, I was finally able to dedicate myself to re-reviewed the videos and docs in an effort learn about how to make a ā€œPartial.ā€ Iā€™ve watched the first five again from start to finish, but Iā€™ve not yet found any instructions for Partials. Iā€™ve also done a search, and the attached comes up, suggesting that I should find Partials in the Control Center docs, but no luck there either.

I wonder if you could point me in the direction enabling my learning about how to create and manage partials.

Thanks.

Partials are a part of Stacks, not Foundry. Visit the Stacks site for documentation and videos on using Partials.

Noted. Thanks for this guidance.